PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Premium 2005

abigail
10-15-2004, 08:17 AM
I have performed the conversion from PCA to Premium 2005 five times, and wasted 12 days. There have been numerous problems, some of which were answered by tech support as "you have to start over." Other answers required tech support's guidance in making changes that fixed problems inherent to the software.

Is any software company making an accounting product similar to PCA? I have been in accounting for many years, and the concept of periods that do not close is against everything I was taught about data integrity!

If no one else is making a standard accounting program for people like me, is there at least someone willing to continue to offer support for PCA?

Windows has its uses . . . I am a big fan of Excel and Access. But the constant "use the mouse, go to numeric keyboard, use the mouse" is a time waster when performing daily tasks. If Peachtree had not announced the retirement of PCA I would have used it forever.

TheWolf
10-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Get a consultant to assist you.

Use Passwords to restrict people from going into previous periods.

There are hotkeys and such that makes it so that you have to rarely use the mouse. A consultant could train you to do this.

There are Peachtree Consultants that still offer support for PCA but as MS Windows changes, it will offer less to no support for 16 bit DOS programs, so eventually you will need to make the change. Also, if you use payroll, you will need to manually update your tables.

abigail
10-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks for your input. I'm a do-it-yourself sort of person, and truly believe that any software should provide adequate manuals and knowledgable tech support personnel - both of which are sadly lacking (this has been true for many years.)

I am aware of the password protection, but I am the sole user and still do not like the open architecture provided by Premium.

I appreciate your quick response.

Robertsprecisio
10-15-2004, 01:25 PM
I am with Abigail all the way. I would have used PCA forever as well.

Keyboard only input makes sense for intensive data inputs.

That said, I have successfully made the switch, and I am liking some of the new features. I am no at all impressed that this software package has built-in advertising for other products. Yuk.

As for updating your own tax tables....why is that a problem? I have always done my own table updates, and it takes no more than 30 minutes once every year. I suppose when I start billing myself at $260.00 an hour it might make sense to pay for the service, but I would still have to load the software...so $500 an hour might be more like it.