PDA

View Full Version : Network Experience?

kcatkins
07-19-2001, 04:16 AM
I would like to hear about acutual experience with 5 users and the program. Peachtree 8.0 (and the new version, 2002) claim to be multiuser capable, but I'm wondering if this is really true.

If you have the max of 5 users in the program at one time, and 2 are working in the accounts receivable portion of the program, will they tend to run into each other quite a bit? In day to day operations, do you find workflow slowed down, (or stopped!) because of "sharing" notices?

Diane Koers
07-20-2001, 09:50 AM
You shouldn't bump heads too often. Single user is required for things like backing up, changing accounting periods, modifing user information or changing customer/vendor/inventory ID's. There are a few others, but for the most part it works fine.

Make sure that all systems have the same network card.

kcatkins
07-20-2001, 02:23 PM
Diane, thanks for the reply! What's up with the network cards? Our CPA firm is counseling an 8 workstation (Win 98) company using Peachtree 8.0 on a Win NT network, and each computer has a different make/model NIC. Could this be causing a problem?

David Livingsto
08-18-2001, 12:29 PM
We use a Windows2000 Server and have found the response over our network to be totally unacceptable. As of this post we have not been successful in correcting our problems.

Additional Information:
We are network system integrators with years of network experience. Over the years we have also dealt with hundreds of various software packages.

Server operating system is Windows2000 Server Edition with additional licenses for Terminal Server.

Our server is a dual Pentium III 1,0Ghz class serve with hardware RAID 0 using Adaptec RAID controller and Seagate 18Gb Cheetah hard drives. The motherboard is supplied by SuperMicro. Our network switch is a CISCO 2924 and our network cards are all 3COM905c-TX using the latest drivers. All computers are running 100BaseT full duplex. All ports on switch and network card are set to this mode. None are on auto-select.

All workstations are Pentium III class computers 600 Mhz or above in speed.

I am open for any suggestions that may help this situation.

Thanks,

Robert Walraven
08-18-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by kcatkins
Diane, thanks for the reply! What's up with the network cards? Our CPA firm is counseling an 8 workstation (Win 98) company using Peachtree 8.0 on a Win NT network, and each computer has a different make/model NIC. Could this be causing a problem?

Absolutely. Mixed-brand NIC cards are known to sometimes cause Peachtree data corruption. (I'd also avoid Win98 or ME because it allows applications to step on each other's memory.)

hksilva
07-28-2003, 05:20 PM
I currently maintain a Peachtree multi-user environment of 11 simultaneous users generating about 300 invoices a day. Our network is Windows 2000 Advanced Server with dual Pentium 4 1.8ghz with 2gig ram and raid 5. The workstations are all windows XP. We have our good days and our bad days. The system is definetaly slow at times and even hangs when trying to print or save a transaction. I have pretty much done everything I can to the system to accomodate our user count, but we still experience really bad performance. You need to make some changes in the registry of each workstation to accomodate the file and data transactions I have attached the registry update for this. This was officially given to me by Peachtree support even though they do not support en environment like mine. I must tell you that we are going to move to Businessworks or MAS 90 because the bad days are getting to be more than the good ones.

07-28-2003, 05:35 PM

TheWolf
08-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Blame? When the odds prove that network issues are the most common cause of data damage it isn't just blame.

Seems network Admins always want to blame the software ;-) .

Robert Walraven
08-02-2003, 10:10 AM
All I can tell you is that out of the hundreds of damaged Peachtree databases I've repaired almost every one of them was from a system where Peachtree was being run across a network. There is no denying that running across a network can lead to data corruption.

Who is to blame? Certainly not the Peachtree application itself because it isn't involved in doing anything with the network directly. It makes all its calls to read and write data through Btrieve, which in turn makes all its calls to move data through system APIs.

So is Btrieve to blame? Granted Peachtree is using an old version of Btrieve, but Btrieve has been used by many commercial applications including several other accounting packages. If it had bugs that would cause it to corrupt data when running across a network, it would not have lasted long in the business. I have some stuff about Btrieve that I downloaded from the web some time ago, unfortunately the links no longer seem to be there, that says exactly what Peachtree is telling us, that Btrieve files can become corrupted when running across a network for all the standard reasons that we have already heard. Although that doesn't rule out the possibility of a bug in Btrieve, the fact that there seems to be a lot of evidence from Btrieve users that a high incidence of file corruption can usually be attributed to network hardware problems or server problems seems to indicate that Btrieve isn't really to blame.

In order to get a feel for why the files are getting corrupted it helps to look at what kind of corruption actually occurs. From what I've observed corruption falls into two categories: Btrieve was in the middle of an operation that it wasn't able to complete, and a piece of a file was overwritten with bad data. In the first case this situation can occur when a computer freezes up or crashes. It might also occur if an anti-virus program is scanning the data files and locks the files, interfering with Btrieve's access to the data. The second situation is more likely the result of network problems or problems at the system level. There is another situation we have seen a few times that is obviously the effect of a disk crash or a virus where pieces of other files overwrite the Btrieve files.

If there is one complaint about Btrieve it is that it doesn't have robust data recovery. If you go to a system like Oracle (boo, hiss) you would probably find that corruption of files when running across a network is less likely because it uses sophisticated techniques for recovering from network problems, but Oracle is completely out of the question for a low-end accounting package because of its price.

The bottom line - don't be afraid to blame your network or server for corrupting your files. In fact, expect it to happen and plan corrective action before corruption occurs - do your daily backups in Peachtree.

tomasint
08-05-2003, 09:05 PM
We have been having network issues, too. These issues have not only been in Peachtree (there have been a few non-PT issues), but most of them have been.

So, if I get new NIC cards and upgrade each computer to XP Professional, will that resolve the issue?

We're running Complete 2003 on an ME network. I am pretty sure that we have different network cards installed.

We have seen many of the same issues reported elsewhere here (slow, hangs up, etc.).

Any recommendations on which NIC cards to buy? Should they be any specific standard?

Tommy Turriff
General Manager
TLC Ingredients, Inc.
One Genstar Drive
Joliet, IL 60435

T: 815-723-9900
F: 815-723-9909
C: 630-461-4668
e: tbt@tlcingredients.com

sbsinc
08-06-2003, 11:36 AM
I hvae complete accounting 2004 upgrade on my network and i have problems with 2 user opening one company at the same time; the pc says one of the user has to shut down to allow the other user access. I purchased the multi user pack what am I to do. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!