PDA

View Full Version : Running slow

Unregistered
07-23-2001, 09:09 AM
I am running Peachtree Classic on a Windows 2000 network. My problem is that when more than one person at a time accesses the data files on the server, Peachtree runs very slowly - long waits to change screens or load a program. I'm not sure if Peachtree is trying to access locked files, or if it is a Windows problem. Any assistance would be helpful.

Baytek
07-25-2001, 10:44 AM
This explanation may be too technical in nature to understand, but your network administrator should understand:

In Windows 2000, parallel ports used by printers don't use IRQs. Instead, the parallel port driver is thread-based (not hardware based), and the port is checked or polled in the background on a lower priority than normal threads. This is done to help avoid IRQ conflicts with devices that might want to use IRQ 5 or 7, which are typically the IRQs assigned to LPT1 and LPT2.

Assigning a priority to a background thread might impact performance in printing. If you have applications that run slowly due to large print jobs, you can edit the registry to reduce the port's thread priority.

Using the registry editor, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\Control\Print and add or chang ethe following value:

Key: PortThreadPriority
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: -1

The -1 value downgrades the priority to below normal from the default value of 0, which assigns a normal priority. If you change the value to 1, you set the value to above normal.

You should make a backup of your registry before making any changes.

For more information, email support@baytek.com.

Baytek
07-25-2001, 10:49 AM
As an added precaution, you should also review the Setup Guide for Windows 2000. You can call 800-719-3216 (Peachtree's Fax On-Demand) and order document 15874, "How do I setup my network to run Peachtree Classic Accounting using a Windows NT/Windows 2000 server?" This is a free service.

For more information, email support@baytk.com.

Unregistered
07-25-2001, 12:53 PM
I understand about the irq's and using a thread to monitor the port, but I don't think that that is my problem. There are no printers connected directly to the server, or to any computer. We have a networked laser printer. Also, I have read through the article you referenced. I found it on Peachtree's web site.

I posted the same query on another Peachtree discussion forum, and one suggestion was that I look into the WINS service on the network. I am trying this but won't have results for a while. In the meantime, other suggestions would be apperciated as are the ones given already. Thank you.

Brian

Unregistered
07-31-2001, 09:25 AM
The problem has been traced to Norton AV 2001 Auto-Protect. Disabling it solved the problem. Can anyone recommend an AntiVirus that doesn't interfere with Peachtree?

mujty
04-08-2002, 07:29 AM
I have found that McAfee VirusScan 4.5.1 (Corporate Edition) seems to work fine.