PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP & V11

georgeseq
01-25-2002, 06:06 PM
We have a 3 computer peer to peer and have been running Windows 98SE with great success. New computer to replace old; has Windows XP. I made the changes for files=100, etc. but something is wrong! The new superfast computer is slower than molasis! What am I doing wrong or is this 'the way it is' since XP has no real DOS in it?? Please, someone give me the magic thing I have done wrong. (other than having bought XP!) :-) I was told by my local Peachtree rep that XP played wonderfully... Wonderfully slow, so far!
George

georgeseq
01-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Forgot to mention that the server is still on Windows 98SE. The XP computer is a workstation..
The server is a very fast 1900+ and workstation response has been instantaneous with 98SE: all changed with XP...
George

georgeseq
01-25-2002, 06:43 PM
Great! As a resuilt of reading past threads re 2000, I now 'opened' my window and am much faster; however, still can't read the page! It is still shrunk up towards the top of the screen and not "full screen" as in 98SE.. What am I not doing now?? Thank you....
George

jag
01-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Hi,

If you want a quick fix just open the program in a small window and the press alt+enter to open it fully.

To fix permanently that issue you only have to do the following steps:

1) Right click on a empty space on the desktop

2) Select New -> Shorcut

3) In the "Location of the item" put: C:\PCA\PCA.BAT and click Next (do not use NETPEACH.EXE... if you must use it, I think you are stuck with alt+enter or make a netpeach.bat file)

3) Type a name for the shorcut and click Finish

4) Right Click the newly created shorcut and select properties.

5) Select the Options tab and then select Full Screen is Display Options

6) Select the Layout tab and put the following settings:

Screen Buffer Size and Window Size
Width: 80
Height: 25

7) Click "OK"... that should do the trick.

Please make sure you have followed the other steps in order to run Peachtree DOS in Win XP correctly.

Config.NT in C:\Windows\System32 must say Files =100 (instead of 40) and put the two enviromental variables.

Overlay_Heap = 1
PC3ID = CO

If you have any other questions I will be more than happy to help.

Bye,

georgeseq
01-27-2002, 09:07 AM
Javier,
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I spent most of Friday, up till 9 pm trying without success to get the XP machine to be operative as a workstation for Peachtree. During the course of the day I talked with my local Peachtree Certified Resource, Microsoft help (who said bluntly that XP would simply not play a DOS program and that I was out of luck!), etc. etc..
I can't wait till Monday now to get back to the office to put your settings in this XP computer! Why is there so little information out there with respect to XP? Most new computers are coming with it loaded yet no tech documents on Peachtree Resource files.
Again, thank you so much for taking time to share you knowledge of XP. Very much appreciated.
George Morrison

jag
01-27-2002, 10:21 AM
George,

No problem at all.

But, you may wanna look at those Peachtree Files again because there is a Document on the peachtree website on how to run Peachtree DOS v11 on Windows XP (It was posted quite recently Jan-11-2002).

Log on Peachtree Knoledge Center, then go to Find Answers. Type "547" and select Answer ID on the Search By drop down menu and click Search.

I have found that this fix does not work on all computers, but I think it works on the vast majority of them.

Hope you fix it.

bye,

georgeseq
01-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Javier,
Again, thank you. I was, with your help, able to find the DOS/XP site on Peachtree knowledge center. When I accessed this site on Friday, each query would take 5 to 10 minutes to respond (with CABLE!) and I obviously did not get the correct combination on my query.. I tried for several hours but assumed that an XP tech report did not exist.. I wish my local Peachtree Tech rep had shared that info with my on Friday...
I definately owe you a cup of coffee should you ever find yourself in Columbus, Ohio my friend!!
Thank you ever so much for your kind assistance.
George Morrison

jag
01-27-2002, 09:18 PM
George,

No problem at all... I'm glad to help. Please contact me if you need further assistance. Also, do like I do... never call my Peachtree Tech Support without posting to this forum first.

Maybe I will take a Rain Check on that Cup of Coffee someday :-)

I went to your beautiful city two summers ago for the National Industrial Fastener Show held at the Columbus Convention Center. It was a pretty big show... my feet hurt for several days. Maybe sometime I will visit your city again (not in the winter/spring season anyway because I hate low temperatures).
How is the temperature up there right now?

If you ever come to Puerto Rico, give me a call... I will buy you a cup of coffee!!! :-))

georgeseq
01-30-2002, 07:49 PM
Got to the office first thing Monday, all armed with the web site info on the XP, ready to get the Peachtree rolling. Only to find when I turned my machine on that my XP was totally different than the one depicted on the site! When I went to the shortcut page to set the page height, etc. it WAS NOT THERE! None of the tabs were the same! My only thought is that the ones on the Peachtree Tech site are XP Home. I have XP Pro. I had to call Peachtree Tech support.. Darned.. The window size settings are found at the upper LEFT corner of the Peachtree Window: you RIGHT click on this little bug and Wahlaah, all the settings that were shown on the shortcut tab are there!
So I am now fully operational with Peachtree; again, thank you for your help, will certainly be back!

georgeseq
06-01-2002, 07:41 PM
Just as a follow-up from our previous XP discussions. With tech support from Peachtree Central, I was finally able to get the correct setups (primarily just view) and Windows XP Pro now plays wonderfully with Peachtree V11 DOS. It is a 4 computer peer to peer with Windows 98SE being where the Peachtree resides, with two XP machines and another 98SE accessing the Windows 98SE home machine. Working flawlessly now for several months now. Windows XP Pro seems to be an excellent operating system with few glitches, no crashes, no lockups.