PDA

View Full Version : complete 7 dos hangs win 95

brown goat
01-25-2002, 08:28 PM
I run win 95 4.00.950a I reciently aquired complete 7.0 for dos at a resale shop. Every thing books and all still in the box, including all the sales flyers. I don't think it had been used. I tried to install from 95 but the install wouldn't take disk 2. I did get around that and finished the install and it hung me. So I install from dos-mode ane it worked fine, but still hung me, both in dos-mode and 95. In dos-mode it complains about share.exe (not part of 95). So I understand 95 dosen't support share.exe so how do I get it to run. One page I read sait to make a dummy file called share.exe in the root or dos dir?

Jacky Tse
01-25-2002, 09:44 PM
Right, you may fool Peachtree by adding a statement in c:\autoexec.bat. Edit the file and add a line as below and save it.

Autoexec.bat
-----------------
share.exe

If my memory is good, it works even if you don't have such a file. Of course, every time you boot the machine, this is a bad command. Still your Windows will work fine.

brown goat
01-31-2002, 06:40 PM
I tried putting in a dummy share.exe file. I changed the auto and config files. I have discovered that it is 95b that I have. I had installed a service pack over it that made it clame to be 95a. I reinstalled 95b, now I get a garbage screen when I run Peachtree from windows. I asume that it will still complain about "share" if I try in dosmode. What next?

Jacky Tse
01-31-2002, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry since I don't have a DOS version of Peachtree, so can't test for you. But, you mentioned a "garbage screen," what does it mean? Is Peachtree working but now a display problem?

brown goat
02-03-2002, 06:10 PM
No it still won't run. I used to get a dos screen (in a window) that was readable even though it hung the system. Now I get a garbage screen, I still think it is a dos window and I can see a blinking cursor in like ten different places on the screen, an it still hangs the system. I haven't even been able to put in the registration numbers yet. Am considering making the machine dual-boot to dos 5 and running it that way.

Jacky Tse
02-03-2002, 10:58 PM
I think it's a good idea to make it dual boot, though not so convenient. But, this can make sure the software and the hardware are all ok.

brown goat
02-05-2002, 12:44 PM
Ok I have it running under ibmdos 5.0 and it seams to work fine. I have it running under win95 too, I still have the garbage screen. It seams to accept input but the screen is unreadable. Some kind of video conflick I gather. Any ideas?