PDA

View Full Version : purging data

Unregistered
07-24-2001, 09:39 PM
I am having difficulty purging data from the year 1999. That was the 1st year that we used this program. We currently are running on Peachtree Complete version 8.0. When purging, the line for journal records has made six passes and then the computer froze. this process took approximately 7 days and since the computer froze, we are back to square one. We were told to update our computer which we recently did and this still does not seem to help. Has anyone else experienced this long of a period to purge records? We do have a large amount of data to be purged, but this is now the 3rd time this has happened to me, (only once on the new computer). Any shortcuts.

Diane Koers
07-26-2001, 12:21 AM
Try purging smaller segments....for example 3 months at a time.

zeromeg
01-21-2002, 01:19 PM
I have a client that I am having the same type of problem with. I tried to purge through 2000 and it took 10 days before I had to stop it.

I then tried through 1999 and stopped that after another 7 days.

I then tried deleting just 1998 which took under 6 hours.

I then deleted Q1 1999 and it took under 12 hours. Same with Q2 and Q3. However, Q4 ran for two days before I stopped it.

I just read about turning logging on so I guess I can try that next. If anyone has another suggestion or suspects what my problem is please let me know.

Thanks!

Deborah Bean
01-21-2002, 03:37 PM
How much RAM is on the computer? I have found that to be a significant factor in running the purge function and in running integrity checks and other processing hogs. I don't do these functions with less that 128 MB RAM in newer versions.

Another factor that sometimes helps is to move to the beginning period of your open fiscal years.

zeromeg
01-21-2002, 05:47 PM
The machine has 128MB of Ram. What I can't figure out is why it only seems to have a problem with this particular quarter. I'm going to try removing that quarter month by month and see what happens. My guess is that it is something in December. Either the number of transactions or perhaps a specific transaction during that period.

AMS92
02-26-2002, 10:23 AM
After having the same problem, I paid for Peachtree support and received the following answer (after which I obtained a refund!): The purge function in Version 8 is not working properly and does NOT purge ANY transaction that has a job number attached to it. They claim they are working on it, in the meantime the transactions just keep piling up. Good luck.

Deborah Bean
02-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Go figure... I begin to believe that Peachtree and Sage are taking Microsoft lessons when it comes to putting out beta software as a completed product.