Master and Substock Items

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master and Substock Items

Can you give me an example of how this would be used?

Thanks!
    Dana

Master - Substock Items.

Retailer sells T-Shirts in multiple sizes and colors.
    Master Stock Item = T-SHIRT
    1st Attribute could be = SIZE, with upto 20 sizes listed under this heading.
    2nd Attribute could be = COLOR, with upto 20 colors listed under this heading.

Peachtree then creates new Sub-Stock Items using the Parent ID + 1st Attribute + 2nd Attribute. The format is 10character-4characters-4characters or XXXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX. "T-SHIRT-LARG-BLUE" along with each other T-SHIRT-size-color. Peachtree then will allow you to look up T-SHIRTS and see all of the choices or attibutes available. Each listing will be its own item and related quantity available.

There other variations of this structure i.e. Item number-Warehouse-Bin.
    Rick Prindiville
    PCO Consulting Services, Inc.
    rick@pcosupport.com
    Peachtree Certified Consultant
    Sage Certified Trainer

Comment

Great, Thank you, that helps. This is for a small used car dealership. The current (very pricey) system uses the Vehicle Identification Number to track the vehicle. I am trying to streamline the work by using Peachtree for all the tasks (except writing contracts). I want inventory records that can be used more than once to cut down on data entry. I think using the sub-stock listing will work perfectly to track the VIN...the same vehicle ends up back on the lot often.

I can add new sub-stock items at any time, right?

Comment

Quote "I can add new sub-stock items at any time, right?"

The answer to the above question is YES, realizing that there is a limit of 20 attributes levels. As per my example of earlier Sizes - 20 choices, and Color - 20 choices per Master Stock Item.
        Rick Prindiville
        PCO Consulting Services, Inc.
        rick@pcosupport.com
        Sage Certified Trainer

Comment

i'd look at serial numbers for tracking VINs - though I don't know how many characters a serial number can be. Rick - do you know?
          Lisa Peterson
          Streamline Consulting, Inc.
          Minneapolis, MN

Timeslips Certified Consultant
          QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor

http://www.businessexpertwebinars.co...peterson040208

Comment

I have heard that Premium version has it's own way of tracking serial numbers in inventory items. I am trying to decide if we should upgrade to that version. I haven't spent enough time yet to know if this will work using Peachtree Complete 2006 but it has got to be better than what they are using now. I appreciate the help!!!

Comment

Quote "I can add new sub-stock items at any time, right?" The answer to the above question is YES, realizing that there is a limit of 20 attributes levels. As per my example of earlier Sizes - 20 choices, and Color - 20 choices per Master Stock Item.

I can add to them but can I change them after they've been used?

Say I use 20 in one year. Can I change one of the attributes later or will it go back and change the item id in a past record? In other words, does it work like "change id" does in customer and vendor files?

I think I need to find out more about the Premium version and it's ability to track id numbers. I had planned to use attributes to record the VIN. Even though this is a very small business, I am not sure it will work like I am thinking it will. (See my other post)

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X