Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums

Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums (http://forums.peachtreeusers.com/index.php)
-   Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum (http://forums.peachtreeusers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Beware of Sage 50 2014 Upgrade! (http://forums.peachtreeusers.com/showthread.php?t=21807)

fingerprn 04-17-2013 09:09 AM

Beware of Sage 50 2014 Upgrade!

I realize the following information may not be a big deal for those of you in larger companies, but it was for me. Sage is currently promoting double savings deal for those who upgrade now to the 2014 version. At the bottom of the ad in very small type is the following...

Important Note Regarding Payroll Tax Tables: When upgrading to Sage 50 Accounting 2014 from earlier versions of the product, you will now be required to have a Sage Business Care Gold or Platinum subscription in order to create and report on payroll checks in your Sage 50 Accounting solution.

I called Sage to confirm that this means I won't be able to run payroll without buying one of their customer service solutions. The person I talked with confirmed this and said the change was "part of their new business model."

So, in addition to buying the software, I am forced to buy a customer service contract AND my annual tax update! All of this just to do the same things I've always done for about half the price.

I hate to say it, but after 21 years with Peachtree, I'm looking for another solution.

PeachPerson 04-19-2013 11:06 AM

I agree - after 25 years of Peachtree, maybe time to look around...

BMC 04-19-2013 12:44 PM

Solution to Sage forced price upgrade

I'm a 20+ year customer of Sage/Peachtree. I'm angry at their greed and presumptuous attitude.

Problems with new policy:

Don't want to upgrade every year. Reason: Often new bugs introduced of data conversion issues cause use headaches and waste load of time. Have to worry about applying Service Release updates.

Don't want support. Reason: I never call then. Been using this for 20 years and know it better than most of the support people I talk to.

My yearly cost will more than double. I have a small business and it's already hard to make a profit.

SOLUTION: Keep using your current version and don't ever upgrade. It's rare that I use any of the features they add. Mostly their new features are ways to charge you for more services. You can use a separate online Payroll service. For example Intuit charges $29. + 1.50 per user per month. You get e-payments (state and federal); quarterly reports (state and federal), w-2 e-filing; AND FREE Direct-Deposit.

Spread the word and don't let Sage rip you off.

fingerprn 04-19-2013 05:43 PM

BMC, I agree with you on everything. The only time I've needed to contact Peachtree for help is because of a software bug, a situation you certainly shouldn't have to pay for.

Thanks for the suggested alternatives. I was considering updating my tax tables manually (see link below), but that would only be a partial solution. I have to admit I've become spoiled to the tax forms service, so I'm glad there are some reasonable alternatives.

http://www.computer-accounting-softw...ax-Tables.html

Side Note: I'm adding "Sage 50 reviews" and "Sage 50 Complete Accounting reviews" to this post to help others find our discussion.

GaryVC 04-20-2013 09:23 AM

I don't think they get it. If they would actually improve the features in the product by adding more reports (or making it easy for the customer to do it) and fixing bugs the product would sell itself. I worked for a company once where one of the owners seemed to spend a lot of time figuring out how to charge more instead of improving service.

I use the service SurePayroll and have been very happy with them.

sdiazea 04-28-2013 06:16 PM

Thank you so much for the heads up. I would have been very grieved had this happened to me. I have ALL my clients on Peachtree 2012, except for one who is still on 2011. I had planned to get all of them on the next upgrade to make my life simpler because every one of them has a bug of one sort or another. Because of your advice we will not be going to 2014. I don't know what to do but it definitely won't be QuickBooks. Time to retire, I guess.

Sharon

ljr0 05-20-2013 03:03 PM

Easy solution. Just look for a different payroll solution and keep peachtree.

fingerprn 05-21-2013 09:52 AM

Sage response

So apparently Sage is getting a rash of $#!7 for doing this because they just sent an email to try and explain their little scheme. This is my favorite answer...

Q. Doesnít Sage Business Care have benefits I donít need?

A. You need your payroll services, and since updates now only work with the latest version of Sage 50 Accounting software, you need to keep that up to date. Sage Business Care ensures that you never miss a payroll update or software upgrade--and provides a host of other important services, like support and Sage 50 Intelligence Reporting--for not much more than the cost of the payroll service and software upgrades alone.

In other words, "No, you didn't need Sage Business Care until we lumped it in with something you do need."

Really, Sage?! Really?!

lohearn 05-29-2013 09:06 AM

I work for a small non-profit and the new Sage business model is well outside of our budget. I have never needed a support plan and I've been using Sage/Peachtree since 1993. Only twice have I ever called support, once was a technical issue for en error in a new release of Peachtree, the other was an issue with our company files after an upgrade.

We would upgrade the software itself every other year, and get the annual tax updates each year. The tax service was about $270, and I could find the software for roughly $295 or less. So our two year total accounting/payroll expense was $860, now that is the annual amount they want to charge! We would go from averaging $430 a year to close to $850 a year, almost doubling the cost!

I am seeking alternatives. We could go with QuickBooks but I like the Sage software itself. I did find a great offer through my local wholesale club for QB with Payroll for less than $300 a year. But then again, I like the look and feel of Sage better.

Not sure what route we're going to go with but this insanity of needing a business gold care package with Sage to keep our payroll tax tables and forms has left a very bad impression on me.

fingerprn 05-31-2013 03:10 PM

Alternatives

I'm looking at these two options...

http://www.monchilla.com/

http://www.workingpoint.com/

GaryVC 06-03-2013 10:38 AM

Monthly cost?

Is there a monthly cost to the Sage Silver Plan (for Sage 50 Complete)? I don't see that anywhere. I don't need payroll since I use SurePayroll.

Gary

supser 06-07-2013 09:31 PM

Payroll Software

http://www.medlin.com/

I experimented with this software, my wife had it done through quickbooks and I did it through this try b4 you buy. /they came out the same. Just have to figure out a way to get it into PTREE.

I just converted from 13 the first of this year. I am the only employee so I have not done payroll this year. Also found a lady in Colorado that advertises the formulas for Sage payroll. It is enough reason for me not to upgrade anytime soon.

http://customizedbookkeepingservices.blogspot.com/

maybe this helps???

PeachPerson 06-12-2013 04:04 PM

I was told that you couldn't get into payroll at all if you hadn't signed up for the tax tables, business care, etc. so entering the formulas may not be an option. Let us know if this is correct or not.

paul7663 06-21-2013 12:34 PM

License agreement

I am also upset about not being able to enter user defined payroll formulas without a subscription. Another thing that bothers me even more is the change to the license agreement concerning Personal Information. You now have to consent to Sage collecting personal information and using or disclosing it as they see fit. Here is the section. Am I interpreting this correctly?

19. MONITORING/PERSONAL INFORMATION

The Program may contain technologies that monitor, record, and report to Sage information regarding the installation and use of the Program, including but not limited to information concerning the Client Device with which the Program is associated; the frequency, type, and manner of use to which the Program is put; and the data inputted to or through the Program by You or on your behalf, such as company data, payroll data, check data, and other transaction-identifying information (collectively, the "Transaction Data"). Sage collects and uses the Transaction Data to support, maintain, and improve the Program, and to enforce Sage's rights under this Agreement. To the extent any of the Transaction Data is personal information within the meaning of applicable law, You hereby: (a) consent to Sage's collection, use and disclosure of such Transaction Data for these purposes; and (b) represent and warrant that You have obtained the consent of any individual to whom such Transaction Data relates to Sage's collection, use and disclosure of such Transaction Data for these purposes, or that the consent of any such individuals is not required to be obtained under applicable law.

BigMike 06-26-2013 08:27 AM

Interesting thread. For someone who is in the process of switching over to Sage50, this isn't very reassuring :( :(

paul7663, I believe you are reading it correct. One thing we could do is to add Sage's server to your machine's Host file (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29) which will block any and all communications with their server. In my uneducated opinion, I don't think this violates the terms since all we are doing is agreeing for them to capture information. Also, what if your machine is not connected to the internet at all? Then nothing would be sent to Sage behind your back and 1) I don't see the software requiring an internet connection to load and 2) I highly doubt they have a "legal requirement" for a working internet connection. Therefore, if its legal to use the software while disconnected from the internet, then I don't see any difference from this and blocking their server from your machine.

My two cents,
BigMike