Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 07-08-2020, 11:37 PM

GL Sales/ Wages Acct for non-stock inventory items

Our company does not deal with stock items, most of our inventory is non-stock. When setting up non-stock inventory items, there is a GL Salary/ Wages Acct but I don't need this field. All I need to account for the non-stock item is the Sales and COGS account. For an inventory item that had already been saved, I tried to leave the field empty and save it but it wouldn't save.

I tried to set the default for non-stock items with the GL Salary/ Wages Acct to be empty and now when I open the Maintain Inventory Items window it says <Undefined Account>. I haven't tested it out to see if it will actually save, but suppose it does, how can I change the inventory items that were already set up before with an account in the GL Salary/ Wages account?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:33 AM

I am trying to remove that from my inventory non-stock items as well. Very interested in the replies you will receive from those that know more than me. I am really regretting having ever bought this program.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:06 PM

Those GL accounts are meant to allocate a cost from whatever GL you enter in the Wage/Salary fields into whatever GL you enter in the actual COGS field. Like you, most people don't need that or want that so I suggest entering the same GL account in BOTH the COGS and the GL/Wages account. If you put a cost in the Last Cost field, what will actually happen when you sell the item is you will then see a debit and a credit for that amount in the GL you entered there. If you were to enter 2 different GL's, the system would credit the GL/Salary GL the last cost amount and Debit the COGS GL account for that same Last Cost amount. So you would get some shifting going on the income statement. Most clients would not want that so I tie those 2 GL's together and then the debit and credit just wash out through the Same GL.
This only applies to selling non-stock. If you purchase a non-stock item it will just debit the GL in the COGS field.

John@bottomline-acctg.com

Please leave me a review if you appreciated my assistance: http://bottomline-acctg.com/reviews/