Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Premium Accounting forum

Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 AM

How to create barcode for peachtree

Dear Users

I have seen some users in this forum mentioning the use of barcode for inventory items, can anyone explain more on this subject say:

1) How to create a barcode system for inventory items in Peachtree ?
2) What is the required hardwares besides of the barcode reader and printer ?

Are we simply plug in the barcode reader to replace the keyboard ?

Thanks a lot.

S.K. Wong
Old 12-01-2004, 04:16 PM

Are you using point of sales? You'll have to decide how the input is handled. We used a barcode font and printed barcodes on the label, code 39 I think, then read the barcode at our point of sale. The number on the barcode was the item id.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:17 PM

Somewhere in the forum discussion here, a user suggests to use the scanner instead of keyboard, is that simple ?

Yes, I would like to try whether Peachtree can perform the functions of Point of Sales without additional software or hardware except for a scanner.

Any advice is much appreciated.

SK Wong
Old 12-02-2004, 09:50 PM

I believe I talked about the bar code wand but where to bring it up is a little tricky without point of sale. You basically would have to get to the item column and at that point scan the barcode. Yes they do make wands and guns that plug in in-line (keyboard). I think they're referred to as wedges. Many companies sell them in the US. I've worked with several. Just make sure that whatever barcode you print the wand or gun can read.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:00 PM

I suppose there may be software attached with the barcode wand, so I can create bar codes.

I may buy one of the cheapest bar code wand and have a trial.

Thanks for your advice
Old 12-02-2004, 10:18 PM

There are relatively cheap fonts for sale. I found one several years ago that was under 20 bucks. Use a good printer. You don't want the barcodes to smear or fade. Several companies in the US still make barcode printers, but you could probably use a laser. You may be able to purchase the software from a company that sells the wands.

Last edited by M GO BLUE; 12-02-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 PM

Send Shannon an email to see if he know any suppliers. There are POS systems that work with Peachtree, so I'm sure the equipment is available.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:47 PM

I have contacted a company called AccuPos Retail at the home page of this website, you need to spend a lot of money on both software and hardware, and most of all, we need to go through a series of study and practice of the POS system. If a simple scanner can do the job, it is fantastic.

SK Wong
Dec 6 10am
Old 12-24-2004, 12:09 AM

We helped our clients to use the barcodes with Peachtree successfully in Hong Kong!
Old 12-26-2004, 05:12 PM

Dear Mr Cheung

Would appreciate if you could contact me by email to sk30d@yahoo.com

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Bye
S.K. Wong
Dec 27 2004 9:30am
Old 02-28-2005, 04:00 PM

Also have AccuPOS - works great!

I'm a computer tech new to Peachtree. I researched barcode scanner systems and settled on AccuPOS. The setup was not difficult and it works very well in entering Item Numbers in Peachtree Premium. Be sure you have Premium.

What I wish I could find out however, is a way to have a separate item number in the "Item Number" field for Inventory, and use the UPC/SKU number in the "UPCSKU" field to scan and call up the record. So far it looks like this cannot be done, but again I'm new to Peachtree. My client has a series of tool stores with a set of their own item numbers (barcoded only with the UPC and not their own item numbers) that they know by heart. From what I can tell I have two options:

1) Have them change their entire system of item numbers and use the UPC/SKU on existing labels to supplant the item numbers in the Inventory records.

OR

2) Print a new separate set of code labels to match their current item numbers and use the new code labels to call up inventory items.

Either way they would have to do this for thousands of items in three stores. Does anyone know of a better way?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 PM

We have begun using barcoding with Peachtree and it works great.

One thing that you need to know is that Code 39 uses a character (usually a *) to tell it to start and end the code.

When designing labels or forms you manually use the barcode font to put the first * followed by the item or document # followed by the *.

You can set you barcode scanner to also automatically insert an enter command to advance.

If you want to start cheaply, I suggest buying a bar code scanner gun on E-Bay. I have bought a couple of Symbol scanners for about $50 each.

Incidently, there is a GREAT new add-on product called ShipGear which works great with Peachtree and UPS Worldship. We have the Sales Order Number print in Barcode on the Packing List which then you simply need to scan and your data is instantly put into Worldship (you could manually enter that number or the invoice number if you don't have a scanner). UPS now includes this product in the Customer Technology Program, and if your volume warrants, will pay for it (or most of it).

G-

G-
Old 08-24-2006, 12:52 PM

Barcode on Invoice

When designing labels or forms you manually use the barcode font to put the first * followed by the item or document # followed by the *.

how exactly do you do this?

was trying today - could not get it to work

Michael
Old 08-24-2006, 09:18 PM

First, things you are going to barcode need to have a consistent scheme in the # of characters in the field. i.e. If it is items you are going to barcode, they all need to be x-digits long, ie. 102001, 122100, not some with 6 digits, and some with 8. The same with customer numbers, if you plan on barcoding those. Sales orders, invoices, etc., shouldn't be a problem if you let the system do it.

This is kind of hard to explain in writing, and definitely takes some trial and error and scanning, changing, and rescanning.

Go into the form you want to use. For this example, I'll use Sales Orders.

Pick the area you want it to go. First create a text box, change the font to your barcode font, and type only a * as the text. Adjust the size of the box, so the edge ends at the end of the last bar. Next addd the Peachtree field, in this case sales order #, change the font to the barcode font. Again adjust the size of the box so it ends at the last bar. Finally, repeat step one on the right side of the sales order #.

Save, with a new name.

Print with an actual sales order and try to scan it.

You should be able to look at it and see how it should look. However, I would suggest going into Word and changing the font to barcode and the size to the same as what you are using in Peachtree and typing * (the sales order #) and *. Scan that one, while still in Word and you'll see the sales order # appear on the screen. Compare the Word one with the *'s to Peachtree and adjust the box sizes as needed. It might take a few tries until you get it lined up correctly.

Good luck!

G-
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 AM

Time flies. Nowadays, it is easy to create barcode in VB.NET ASP.NET, in C# , in Java and many other platforms. A third party control can finish this job greatly.