Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Classic and DOS forum

Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Thumbs down DOS or Windows?

I have been using Peachtree for DOS Version 11 for many years, and although, due to migration, I lost some functionality, like Sales Reports,etc., it works fine.

However thinking towards the future, I was thinking that maybe we should get ready progress into a Windows-based version. However, since I test-drove a demo, I realized that the user is prevented from using some functions on the newer versions, like manually entering the new tax rates, for example. That has to be bought from Peachtree. Also, my CPA loves the reports from DOS, which the Windows version has less of the detail he wants.

With Microsoft supporting less and less the Command Prompt, I wanted to be ready in case they abandon it completely.

I would like to know what the pros and cons are of moving up to a Windows version, from users that were happy with the DOS versions.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM

You may want to talk to a Peachtree / Sage 50 Certified Consultant that knows both Peachtree DOS Version 11.0 and all of the current versions of Peachtree Windows (aka Sage 50) re the desired reports and the ability to provide. Most of the reports can be produced directly or via Crystal Reports, in a few cases, however, we typically can satisfy users needs.
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Upgrade?

I just went from 13 to Sage 50 for Distribution 2012. That was the last year you can enter formulas manually as I was led to believe. I miss the DOS version and I am still running XP.
I tell myself this is an improvement but I feel like I am spending more time doing the same things. I miss the F10 function key. The good news is when I enter inventory I am already entering Invoices for AP, even if I am waiting on an Invoice. I have not found a way to convert ORDERS to Invoices except by one at a time. There is an export feature and you can pretty much figure out a way to export almost anything to a CSV file that can easily be opened in Excel. I am still struggling with the Crystal Reports, it is not nearly as easy as PDQ if you were using that.
I made the upgrade because the world is moving in that direction and XP is probably not too long for this world.
Just my own opinions offered here!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 AM

im running the same v11 with some peachpro enhancements on a dos machine and trying to learn the 2012 software on my vista machine. the new software is much more powerful but way more complex. this is going to take a while. good luck.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 AM

another 6 weeks deeper and with some pro help, there will be no turning back for me. cant wait to put the 486 out to the curb. i dont think the software is as good as it was dos v11 vs. 2012. but at least with the 2012, we arent worrying about blowing a floppy controller card or giving our accountant extra money to do what we have been doing with payroll for years. so i would go with the 2012 if i was to recommend one.