Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Classic and DOS forum

Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Peachtree Classic 13 to Sage 50 2013

I think I've got a nightmare on my hands.

We've been running Classic 13 FOREVER.. We have to upgrade now because Windows 98 just isnt cutting it anymore.

Here's my question: Is there a utility/app/download or something in Sage 50 2013 or available elsewhere, that will extract all of our existing inventory files from Classic 13 into Sage 50 2013? If so, can anyone explain to me how it works, or if its worth me trying to do it myself? We have over 10,000 inventory items that would take me months to input manually.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cory B. Ayers
Burlap & Landscape Supply Co.
Las Vegas, Nevada
(702) 253-9721
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Keep your old stuff

Hi Cory
Like you I've held onto the old stuff Version 13 Classic DOS and recently had one of our PCs die. I found that Windows 7 Professional is a good way to keep the same program and data. You could "upgrade" to Win XP and install your version of peachtree then using the backup utility bring in your data.

For us it meant a new computer was needed and since PCA only has the LPT1 printer for Bank Account Manager, I found a motherboard that still offers the parallel Port for the printer. A local shop built identical machines running Intel Core i5 chips on an Intel ATX motherboard model DH61BE. This allowed us to increase our RAM and make use of the newer processor. WE lost some ability to increase the amount of RAM but since we only use WORD, EXCEL and similar programs we don't need that much memory.

Only hassle was the lack of a floppy drive since there is no IDE header on the motherboard. Instead, I use USB memory sticks that are filled with directories that I copy my entire C drive PCA stuff into. So for Payroll, I copy the xxPRDATA (xx is your company initials) directory into the PAYROLL 1 directory on the USB drive. I added 20 PAYROLL directories to the USB drive (# 1 - #20) and then did the same for each of the other directories I need (i.e. Gen. Ledger, Job Cost,...). To restore from a backup, I just reverse the process and copy from the USB to the PCA directory on the computer.

a couple of tricks with Win 7;
Under a programs properties, set the peachtree program (PCAMENU.exe) as compatible with win XP and if you have a flat screen monitor check the box for high resolution, and run as an Administrator.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSILVER View Post
Hi Cory
Like you I've held onto the old stuff Version 13 Classic DOS and recently had one of our PCs die. I found that Windows 7 Professional is a good way to keep the same program and data. You could "upgrade" to Win XP and install your version of peachtree then using the backup utility bring in your data.

For us it meant a new computer was needed and since PCA only has the LPT1 printer for Bank Account Manager, I found a motherboard that still offers the parallel Port for the printer. A local shop built identical machines running Intel Core i5 chips on an Intel ATX motherboard model DH61BE. This allowed us to increase our RAM and make use of the newer processor. WE lost some ability to increase the amount of RAM but since we only use WORD, EXCEL and similar programs we don't need that much memory.

Only hassle was the lack of a floppy drive since there is no IDE header on the motherboard. Instead, I use USB memory sticks that are filled with directories that I copy my entire C drive PCA stuff into. So for Payroll, I copy the xxPRDATA (xx is your company initials) directory into the PAYROLL 1 directory on the USB drive. I added 20 PAYROLL directories to the USB drive (# 1 - #20) and then did the same for each of the other directories I need (i.e. Gen. Ledger, Job Cost,...). To restore from a backup, I just reverse the process and copy from the USB to the PCA directory on the computer.

a couple of tricks with Win 7;
Under a programs properties, set the peachtree program (PCAMENU.exe) as compatible with win XP and if you have a flat screen monitor check the box for high resolution, and run as an Administrator.
So Im just trying to make sure I understand you correctly...

You're still using Peachtree Classic 13, but on Windows 7?