Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 08-01-2003, 03:33 PM

Sick of peachtree...what else is there?

I cant say I know what we pay for peachtree, but is there anything else in its pricerange that would be good for a small business. We just had a terrible experience(hopefully to be resolved with help from Shannon Tucker, and from everyone at my place of business I have talked to, no one likes peachtree. The most important thing for us is data stability and multiple users. Although we only have two or three(four tops) users at a time, it seems to be in issue with peachtree so something with better netcode would be nice. This is for a small business.

Last edited by gkaste; 08-05-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:47 PM

Within the price range, most folks concede that the only other options are QuickBooks and MYOB.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:39 AM

MYOB ?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:47 AM

http://www.myob.com/
Old 08-02-2003, 12:05 PM

However don't assume either to be any more reliable if you are accessing your data across a network. Find some newsgroups or forums like this for Quickbooks and MYOB and ask about the kinds of problems people have experienced with networks. If you hear pretty much the same stuff then you probably don't need to go through the headache of changing your accounting system - just diligently back up your data from within Peachtree each day.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Administrator

The first post in this thread might lead folks to think that I say that most Peachtree users are unhappy. This is not so...I believe most PT users are quite happy with their software.

Regarding problems, I think Robert is right; the propensity for problems is higher on networks also for other small business accounting software.

We repair damaged data for users of other accounting software products, including QuickBooks. Most of the non-Peachtree data problem scenarios we hear about involve the data getting damaged on the network.

There are things you can do to make Peachtree run more reliably on a network...search the forum. And don't forget to backup.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 AM

Sorry, I really didnt mean everyone, I meany my coworkers, I tend to ramble when I talk.

My boss is looking into peachtree alternatives now. Its not just the problems we have had, but the fact that no one(my coworkers) like using it.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shannon Tucker
[B]The first post in this thread might lead folks to think that I say that most Peachtree users are unhappy. This is not so...I believe most PT users are quite happy with their software.

Yes, Peachtree is a wonderful software program,(WHEN IT WORKS AS REPRESENTED) but, it could be made so much better if there was some support on the part of the manufacturer.

Somehow, I suspect that it is being used as a "spring-board" to more expensive packages offfered by the same parent company.
Something like "bait and switch" but on a more sophisticated level.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:26 PM

What specifically don't you like about it? As someone else said, QuickBooks and MYOB are pretty much the only other game in town at this price level. And the daily grind (invoicing, receiving payments, etc) is not vastly different in any of them.

Maybe a Peachtree consultant could help you with tips to make it work better for your particular situation. It really is a great program for the money.

Also, data corruption is often a hardware problem. I've heard stories of data getting corrupt when the bookkeepers heater went on under her desk. Or network cabling running near an elevator. Is your network solid?

Good luck,
Lisa Peterson
Streamline Consulting, Inc.
Making Accounting Work For You
Minneapolis, MN

Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor

http://www.businessexpertwebinars.co...peterson040208
Old 08-09-2003, 02:49 PM

Re: Sick of peachtree...what else is there?

Quote:
Originally posted by gkaste
I cant say I know what we pay for peachtree, but is there anything else in its pricerange that would be good for a small business.
If you are a manufacturing or job shop check check out DBA Software at www.dbasoftware.com. It's not in the same price range as Peachtree, but can be a good buy compared to other packages.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:35 AM

network issues with peachtree

I have used peachtree on 6 or more network systems and have not had unsolved issues. Can you be more specific as to problem areas and give some specs on the network you are using.

Ed Horvath
edward0744@aol.com
Old 08-12-2003, 06:25 AM

I see you are in Indiana. I'm in Indianapolis. Perhaps I can help you and your co-workers avoid the headache of changing accounting systems as I've been exclusively supporting Peachtree since 1988. Contact me at dkoers@comcast.net if you are interested.
www.thepeachtreelady.com

Old 08-16-2003, 05:55 AM

In the last few months of being a consultant for Peachtree I have found that some of the things some users do not like are caused by not knowing more efficient ways to do the same task. I have found a huge market in going in and auditing the procedures that customers use and then offering more effecient ways to handle the same things and work arounds to get by some limitations. I have had many users say "I never knew you could do that".

With the above said, if your co-workers were to be more descreiptive in what they don't like, then some of us may be able to offer suggestions to overcome these. The alternative is to get a consultant to come in and audit how you use Peachtree and offer ways to make it better.

Last edited by TheWolf; 08-16-2003 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:39 AM

Well said Wolf! I totally agree with you. I can't tell you the number of times someone has said.... "I wish I knew that last week when I was ...."
www.thepeachtreelady.com

Old 08-16-2003, 08:57 AM

gkaste,

Due to the time, cost and learning curve involved in implementing new accounting software, my advice to you would be to consult Diane Koers since she is in your area. She is one of the most knowledgeable Peachtree experts around, and I am sure she would be able to help you.

Peachtree is a quirky package and sometimes the wisdom of someone who knows all of the quirks and how to get around them is all you need.

Michelle

Last edited by chikamic; 08-16-2003 at 09:00 AM.