Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 08-30-2004, 07:25 AM

Let me say this as nicely as possible.

The problem is not the program the problem is the users.

Bookeeping is not easy, and at times can get complicated.

People tend to blame the program(s) for this fact.

I would bet two to one odds your personel have minimum skills bookeeping/accounting skills.

Changes programs will not increase the user friendliness of the program. They are all just about the same, and Peachtree has done as good a job as any of them. In fact I don't know how the interface could be any easier. Regardless of program cost! From my experience expensive programs have an even more awkward interface.

Get your staff into an intro bookeeping course, or have Diane come in and teach them.

I may be way off base, but in the 20 or so Peachtree companies that we maintain, this is what I have noticed.

Last edited by claudebo; 08-30-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:50 AM

I started using PT about 7 yrs ago as a complete novice to both PT and accounting. It is not a perfect program, but more times than not, I have found the problem to be operator error!! Of course, you do have to keep your network and workstations up to speed otherwise you are asking for problems, both with PT and other software. If you do not have an accounting background, it might be a bit difficult to maneuver, but it also 'forces' you to keep your books accurately. Each year I sweat out going to the accountant and she always tells me, 'what were you so worried about? I wish all my clients were so well organized and accurate.' Mind you, my math ability is such that I get excited when my checkbooks balance each month, so I am no math whiz!

As far as the support goes, PT is pretty anemic, more times than not, I was able to figure out the problem on my own. That said, I have also made use of one of the PT consultants who frequent this forum, with great success and satisfaction, so there are alternative support networks to the PT support. I also find the people who frequent this forum to be very helpful, when given enough information on your particular problem, and very generous with their time and expertise. Thank you to all of you who offer your trials and tribulations so freely.

Jan

Last edited by jcnixon; 08-30-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:58 AM

QB vs PT

Dear Mr. Dale,

I would like to let you know that my comments were not made in a moment of "accounting anger." I have joined the PT forum to help find out PT's weaknesses so I can make a good decision. I've downloaded a trial of PT Complete 2005 and, in off hours, am trying to evaluate it. I did not properly evaluate QB when I switched as I was relying on my accountant who has been the target of my repeated complaints about the program (luckily he is a patient man). So far, I'm happy with what I'm seeing in the new PT.

So, please, use my comments and my name if you like.

Well, gotta get back to my daily fight with QB reporting, end of the month is here.

Texye
Old 08-30-2004, 11:29 AM

I do support for a living and I have found that sometimes you have to spend money or put in a certain amount of work to know which questions to ask.

If you really do read the manuals, or perhaps buy Diane's book, take a class, get a class manual, or hire a consultant, Peachtree will be easier to learn. If you don't already know the basics, Peachtree can be very difficult. That's one of the reasons I still have this job.

However, I still recommend peachtree first, unless your company is too big, because I have seen it work in so many companies (thousands of my customers)

Last edited by Jim Dale; 08-30-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:43 PM

I used MYOB in my last position, and I think Peachtree is far superior.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:34 PM

Quirky

All accounting programs are quirky. We have several companies, the largest of which are on DacEasy, another Sage product in the same general price range.

It is a very sensivitve accounting package, bad reporting package, very few interactive features and quite inflexible.

I am trying to migrate out of this antiquated package to Peachtree by 2005.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:48 PM

Since Daceasy is owned by Best, (I have V 12 for example) you should be able to find a support center to help with this. Check with Shannon at this forum.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:09 AM

u

If you have a small business and the people who are trying to use your accounting software are not trained accountants, Quickbooks is MUCH MORE USER FRIENDLY. It is easier to drill down from ANY REPORT (including summarized reports), which is not always possible in Peachtree. It is easier to make corrections, find transactions, etc. Quickbooks does not make you "change accounting periods", which is a PAIN.

I do not know about the network issues.

I believe Peachtree may provide better "security" and it is supposed to be better if you have inventory (which we don't).

Overall, peachtree was designed by accountants to be used by accountants. Quickbooks is designed to be used by the average small business owner without an accounting degree or bookkeeping experience.

By the way, I have an accounting degree and keep my husband's books on Quickbooks. The company I work for uses peachtree (not my choice). So I feel I am qualified to make these observations!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:49 AM

I see more customers that use Quickbooks, have to be more reliant on their CPA's for many things. If Peachtree is set up properly and the end user trained properly, it eliminates alot of need for an accountant. Many of my clients just take copies of their financials to the accountant at the end of the year to review for adjusting entries and to get their taxes done.

I am now the managing partner in my own business and since I have an accounting degree, I prefer Peachtree. The reports give drill down and summary totals for many things.

Peachtree for Windows is just as user friendly as Quickbooks.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:32 AM

Quickbooks CPA dependency

Tom,
You are so right on the accountant dependency issue with Quickbooks. I spend so much more time and money now that I am on Quickbooks. And, as Kari wrote, Peachtree was designed by accountants (which I did not know), so it adheres more to GAAP which is fine with me. I love Peachtree's "forcing" the period changes.

I do not have a degree in accounting and never took a class. I was thown into it in an emergency situation on the old accounting by hand ledger books; I guess my knowledge is limited and I don't have time to learn a new way. I did that for 3 long years so computer accounting (One Write Plus was my first) was such a joy that anything was an improvement at the time. The CPA who taught me (mainly so I wouldn't bother him) drove certain things into my head and the major accounting "sin" was changing transactions in a "closed" period.

With that in mind-I've always wondered, what is up with Quickbooks and that stupid "void only in original transaction period". Call me an old-fashioned girl, but it horrifies me.

Peachtree gave a choice to void then or now. Hopefully, it still does. Our company, while still small, has grown a great deal and needs a lot of detail and a really good paper trail.

I really do thank everyone for their input, pro and con. I think I've made my decision and Peachtree here I come-crashes and all.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:01 AM

https://www.accountingsuite.com/