Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 05-03-2020, 02:09 AM

Deleted invoice in now closed year

What should I do if I've deleted an invoice in a year that is now closed?

To paint a clearer picture, we had an customer's invoice that was showing up in our A/R for a long time and it seemed like the customer had forgotten about it. After some investigation, we found out that the invoice had not been delivered to them in the first place

It became obvious that we could not claim the invoice, so I went ahead and deleted the invoice. Now I am starting to think that was a wrong move. Maybe I should have voided the invoice without deleting? Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. the invoice is in a now closed year so if I have to import the invoice, I would appreciate any tips for doing the import correctly.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:57 AM

I'm kind of surprised it let you do that to a transaction in a closed year. If it did, it might let you recreate it.

What I would have done instead of deleting it is create a credit memo with the current date, then in Receipts select both to clear out the invoice and the credit memo.

Since you did not do this, the Sales for your year end reports for that year and subsequent closed years will be off, compared to your already run reports. I think the best you can do now is create a new invoice dated on the first day of your currently open years. This will bring your current books in line with the state immediately prior to closing the previous year. Then do as above with the credit memo.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:40 AM

Thanks!

Well I deleted the invoice when the year was still open, and it only occurred to me that that was a mistake after I closed the year off. I didn't even bother to try to renter it because I knew it probably won't accept any entries.