Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 01-30-2017, 07:53 AM

How To Reorder (Sort) Contacts Addresses

Sage 50 Premium Accounting 2015

One of my customers merged his two companies into one company. His internal operations referred to his individual grocery stores as XXX #3, XXX #5, XXX #7, et cetera.

Initially, when we setup the separate companies, we maintained the Contacts Addresses in numerical order, per their store designation scheme, within Sage 50, as follows:

Company XXX Contacts Addresses:
Store #3
Store #5
Store #7

Company YYY Contacts Addresses:
Store #4
Store #6
Store #8

After the merger, I added all of the Company YYY Contacts Addresses to the Company XXX Contacts Addresses list. They appear in the following order:
Store #3
Store #5
Store #7
Store #4
Store #6
Store #8

I want them to appear in the following order:

Store #3
Store #4
Store #5
Store #6
Store #7
Store #8

Does Sage 50 support reordering this list, short of reentering the stores? Reentering the data, would cause me to lose the store history data.

Thank you.

Kurt
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM

I would try to export the customer list and addresses out of Sage, fix them and import them back into Sage. To do that go to File/Export/Customers/Customer List, choose the columns you need. Make sure to create a backup right before you try to import them back in case it doesn't work out correctly. The only way to fix that would be to restore.

John [at] bottomline-acctg (dot) com

Please leave me a review if you appreciated my assistance: http://bottomline-acctg.com/reviews/
Old 01-30-2017, 10:08 AM

John,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Your reply made me smile.

A couple of years ago, I used this same procedure to create an extensive list of inventory items, that contained a significant amount of identical content, for a different company. I created a single inventory item. I exported it to an Excel spreadsheet. I made a dozen copies of the single inventory item line, and then, I made the small corrections, within each new line. I imported this spreadsheet into Peachtree. It worked wonderfully. Not a single error.

I am wondering if the export/modify/import process will break the links between the store locations and their sales history. I performed my similar procedure, a few years ago, prior to making our first sale. Therefore, no sales and inventory history data existed.

Thank you.

Kurt
Old 01-30-2017, 10:17 AM

The sales history would be tied to the ship to 1 or 2 or 3 etc so it regardless of the actual address being used. The data record is based off of the field title Ship 1 or Ship 2. I would export 1 customer, fix and import back in and see how that looks before getting to crazy.

Please leave me a review if you appreciated my assistance: http://bottomline-acctg.com/reviews/
Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 AM

John,

I exported the file (File/Export/Customers/Contacts), modified it, and then imported it. I examined the results. The import process added all of the information to the existing information. This resulted in mostly duplicated customer contact data.

I restored from backup. All seems to be as it was.

I attempted to delete the contact data, manually, but, Sage 50 does not allow this.

I want to overwrite the Contact data, not, add to it. Do you have a suggestion to accomplish this.

Thank you.

Kurt
Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 PM

It seems like your only option is to actually type over the existing contact to change it and then hit Save.