Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 08-17-2003, 03:17 PM

Angry

The problem with PT can best be catoragized by how big your business is and how much money you have to throw at the problem.

Like a fool, I believed all the glitter and lights when reading what PT can do plus 30 days "free help". In my case, they unpluged the phones when I registerd my software and now they want $40 so I can ask them a question.

I'm a small business. Too big for MS Money and to poor for PT.

I'm having to track all my expenses in MS Excel until I can find someone that can explain this monster to me.
I have a stak of Big Chief tablets and #2 pencils in the closet just in case!

Michael
Old 08-17-2003, 03:33 PM

Michael,

If you post your problem(s) here, there are enough "Peachtree Professionals" and power users that lurk around here I am sure you can get some assistance.

Michelle
Old 08-17-2003, 08:22 PM

Thanks Michelle, for your kind words.
www.thepeachtreelady.com

Old 08-18-2003, 06:23 AM

I think that it is interesting that two posting that have received the most hits are loaded with comments from unhappy customers. Not much in the way of help either. I'm still waiting on a comment to my posting!

Many get into network issues, computer age issues, OS, issues, etc. I realize that every software company can not test every possible senario when it comes to computer models and OS versions. However, when you get enough people complaining about the same things over and over again, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Get the data, find the problem and fix it!

Is there a Dummies book for PT Accounting 2003......other then the user's manual?

Michael
Old 01-30-2004, 10:16 AM

Lightbulb

Try Cougar Mountain Software... call 800-388-3038. or www.cougarmtn.com
Old 02-02-2004, 08:39 AM

There is a PT for Dummies book. I don't know if it has been updatated to the latest version but it is worth a look.
PT is designed with an accountant in mind and is not that intuitive to a non-accountant. A day spent with a consultant to get you going would be worth the money.

I've been using PT for several years over a network and have found it to be reliable and pretty stable.

Quickbooks is a simpler program if you just want to track expenses and is more reliable than a spreadsheet.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Pierce
The problem with PT can best be catoragized by how big your business is and how much money you have to throw at the problem.

Like a fool, I believed all the glitter and lights when reading what PT can do plus 30 days "free help". In my case, they unpluged the phones when I registerd my software and now they want $40 so I can ask them a question.

I'm a small business. Too big for MS Money and to poor for PT.

I'm having to track all my expenses in MS Excel until I can find someone that can explain this monster to me.
I have a stak of Big Chief tablets and #2 pencils in the closet just in case!

Michael
Have you already tried the tutorials? If you do some of that for background you can ask questions on this forum
Old 02-02-2004, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Pierce
I think that it is interesting that two posting that have received the most hits are loaded with comments from unhappy customers. Not much in the way of help either. I'm still waiting on a comment to my posting!

Many get into network issues, computer age issues, OS, issues, etc. I realize that every software company can not test every possible senario when it comes to computer models and OS versions. However, when you get enough people complaining about the same things over and over again, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Get the data, find the problem and fix it!
Michael
Since you feel your previous posting required a comment, here it is:

Peachtree is a low-end accounting system. That is, it is near the bottom of the price scale for accounting systems. Nevertheless it has a great deal of functionality for the price. There are approximately a million businesses who have purchased Peachtree and learned to use it without any problems. However, that does not mean it is trivial to learn. Reviews of Peachtree have always indicated that it is more of an accountant's package rather than something for a person who is unconfortable with accounting.

Peachtree's documentation is well written and does a pretty good job of explaining the complexities of how to use it, but you will need to refer to it if you are doing anything out of the ordinary.

Expecting free support for more than 30 days on a software product that sells for under $500 is unrealistic. For companies to survive they must contain their support costs and it is standard practice in the industry to charge for long term support.

One of the reasons that the longest threads here tend to pertain to unhappy customers is because there are a lot of us out here who are knowledgable in Peachtree and want to understand why someone is unhappy with Peachtree and help them resolve their issues. In the case of this thread we started by addressing the issues of a single unhappy user and most of the posts are related to the initial complaint.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:36 PM

I would suggest to anyone who is not familiar with Peachtree or not very well versed in accounting that they spend the money to have a Peachtree consultant come in and do their initial setup.

Some areas are hard to change once you get going, and it's really pretty simple to use if set up properly (especially Payroll). Once you're set up you'll probably never need a consultant again unless you want things changed or added.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:47 PM

Re: Sick of peachtree...what else is there?

To gkaste (original poster):

As already stated by other posters, you are not going to find anything better in the price range of Peachtree - all you will find is something that looks a bit different, acts a bit different, but has its own problems. There are a huge number of Peachtree users who are quite happy with it, so it would be useful to know just what it is that "everyone" at your place of business doesn't like about Peachtree.

The problem you experienced with corruption of your data files was not the fault of Peachtree itself but was the result of some sort of network or server problem on your system. With some other accounting package you would have exactly the same problem if there is something flaky on your network. The note you got with your repaired data discusses the things you need to pay attention to.

I am often asked why Peachtree is seems prone to network errors. To understand the answer you have to realize what is going on in a network environment. Network errors actually can occur a lot more than you might think. I doubt there are any Windows users who are connected to a network and haven't had weird things happen like their system locking up or some application taking a really long time to do something across the network that should be fast, or some other strange behavior. (BTW, I just had Zone Alarm abort on this system for some unknown reason - don't know why, but I bet it was a network problem.) And if you are running a home version of Windows things are much worse because applications can step on each other.

So what is the problem with Peachtree and networks? It has to do with the kinds of operations that Peachtree needs to perform to do accounting operations. Posting a journal entry, for example, is an extremely complex problem that requires an extensive set of operations to be performed completely and correctly. If a single one of these operations is performed incorrectly across the network, you end up with incorrect or corrupted data. This is not a Peachtree problem, it is a "doing Accounting" problem, and that is why I say switching to another low end accounting package will not solve your problem.

The nearest analogy I can make is this: Imagine dropping a can of coke on the floor - you can clean it up. Now imagine dropping a book on the floor - you can clean it up. Finally imagine holding a stack of opened books on your lap, balancing a coke can on the books, and then having the whole thing slip off your lap and fall on the floor. You are going to end up with coke stains on your books that you can't get out. (Don't ask me about the time I accidentally knocked a can of coke over and the whole thing poured into my keyboard.) The point is - when something goes wrong with a simple operation it can often be fixed on the spot, but if something goes wrong with a complex operation, you have a mess on your hands that maybe can't be cleaned up.

You might ask why the networking can't be made more robust. The problem is that some of it is completely out of an applications hands - it is done by Windows, not the application. About all you can do is check after an operation to be sure the data got there correctly, but this doubles the overhead of moving data. Also it doesn't protect you from file corruption where the file is physically damaged because Windows overwrote part of it with the wrong data - in that case the file may simply become unreadable by normal means. This is when you need to call in the data repair experts, which is what you did in your case.

The bottom line is that there isn't anything particularly wrong with Peachtree - data corruption occurs if you have something going on with your network or server that results in an unusually high rate of network-related errors. In fact it would be wize whenever operating any application across a network to assume that sooner or later your data will get corrupted no matter how well put together your system is. The best line of defense in this case is to have a plan for recovering when corruption occurs. In Peachtree this is fairly easy - you just do your daily backups from within Peachtree.

If you are really determined to switch to another accounting application, check it out thoroughly before making the switch. Get a copy and have all your users work with it a bit on test data for awhile to be sure they actually do like it better than Peachtree. And be sure to set it up in a networked environment so you can see how it performs the way you will be using it in practice. Finally, convert your Peachtree data to the new system and work with it a bit to make sure it is really doing the job.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:10 AM

Bob - thanks for a great post! Whenever I tell clients that data corruption is just a fact of computer life, I feel like it's cop out answer. Explaining it as you did will be very helpful. I always appreciate your wisdom here.

So now, tell us about when you spilled the coke on your keyboard ;-)

Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor

http://www.businessexpertwebinars.co...peterson040208
Old 02-19-2004, 05:47 PM

Quote:
So now, tell us about when you spilled the coke on your keyboard ;-)
I reached for something and accidentally knocked a full can of cola over. It fell on the keyboard and most of the liquid ran out before I could react. Suprisingly nothing shorted out. I held the keyboard up by one end for a few minutes until it stopped dripping and continued on my way. I suspect this might have sterilized the keyboard in the process, considering how unhealthy keyboards can become after a while. (I remember a keyboard I had to use once that was really filthy. After working on it for a while with Windex and elbow grease I was very suprised to find out it actually had two different colors for the keys.)
Old 02-20-2004, 11:31 AM

Accounting Software Dilema's

All I can say is that our company has suffered through THREE Accounting Software changes in four years.

Like most of you, we started out with Peachtree. It worked very nicely for a while, and then.....our company grew and we needed more than one person in the accounting dept. But, we were still a small company. When we added two more users....PROBLEMS. These were problems not related to lack of education of the product, as we had been fully trained and had purchased books, we all have college educations and are quite literate. The problem was ....the software.

Next step....the switch...which began our next batch of problems....the product we choose...M.Y.O.B......this proved to be the worst option. Instead of boring all of you with those sorted details.....I will take you to the next big mistake of my career. Suggesting to replace M.Y.O.B. with Peachtree......AGAIN.

Peachtree had a new version out which promised to be better than ever....very catchy sales pitch.....and I was prime bait. One year later...and many months of frustration......time to lick this accounting software battle once and for all........and finally, a product that is not only affordable, stable, easy to use and an absolute dream...........ACCPAC!!!!!!

The general ledger is so powerful I have to wear knee-pads. My AR Manager and AP Clerks are finally wearing smiles. So, if you find that you are having that feeling that you need to change software packages and you have decided that Peachtree really isn't for you, then you might want to give Accpac a try. I think that Peachtree does do some things very well, though.....just not everything.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:48 PM

Peachtree crashes/network problems etc..

I went to Quickbooks in 2001 after many years of Peachtree. I'm seriously considering going back to Peachtree and am almost certain I will.

I left Peachtree because of crashes and corrupt files etc... The only good things can say about Quickbooks, and I do have the latest version, is it has never crashed and the online billpay through my bank is cool, though slow.

Now, for the problems. If you do not know accounting, then Quickbooks is probably good for you because you won't know the difference. If you are trained in accounting and need good reporting (ie. GAAP with the correct use debits/credits on reports), flexibillity, don't want to have to pay over S100.00 EVERY year for updated payroll taxtables (it prohibits you from doing anything, but manually putting in the deductions on each paycheck, each pay period) having no choice of using inventory items for A/R and A/P which is a nightmare unless you're company does nothing but assembles doors do not go to QB. It might be good for a one or two person office in a very simple business.

Technical help, okay, I agree Peachtree support plan techs are awful. The good ones you need to pay on an individual basis and they were great a few years ago. Forget getting any help at Quickbooks Website unless you need to learn how to write a check or pay a bill or cannot figure out why your AR is out of balance because you have know idea how to analyze accounts (and they might not be able to help you on that. I've talked to QB tech support once; I wanted to shoot myself by the time I got off the $80.00 phone call which DID NOT solve the problem.

Good luck on being able to get good information for reports. You cannot get the actual descriptions in transaction reports, only the set-up Item description which, again, is fine if you repeated sell the exact same thing. I spend hours exporting to excel and combining the info I need.

Jobbing-its a joke. You make a new customer for each job (can do subs). You cannot split amounts towards different jobs. So if you buy 5 whatevers for 5 customers-you have to add an individual line in the PO or payable for each "whatever" to assign it to a particular job. Maybe you could do it through inventory, but the inventory is such a nightmare, I don't use it. Its easier to track it myself and probably a lot less expensive because I have a feeling a lot of people using QB's inventory are paying a lot in lot of tax because I think it really easy too not remove it when its sold.

Fedexing out of QB-doesn't work, have to call tech support (and pay). Emailing out of QB-if it does work, you may be asleep by the time it finally completes. And, while the billpay through my back is nice, it takes forever for the checks to reach most vendors (5-day arrival time is bull and so is the "guaranteed").

So I've been debating the change back to PT for 10 months, weighing the pros and cons. After looking at the new PT, I'm thinking I've got to go back to it. An untrained or careless employee can easily wreak havoc in your company on QB. Unfortunately, I've experienced this and the woman might as well have just been stealing our money, it would have been cheaper.

As far as the crashes and corrupt files on Peachtree I just need to add a 2nd or 3rd backup everyday and hope their good.

I am starting to suspect that accounting firms get financial encouragement to switch their clients or keep them on Quickbooks. One accounting firms convinced us to switch to QB, our new firm encourages us to stay on QB and I cannot figure out why except that QB is so cumbersome for us that we spend a lot of money with them to help keep us caught up, or they are getting financial encouragement.

So, if you are thinking of moving to Quickbooks, don't do it. I've given it 3 miserable years of my life.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:04 AM

Liked your info. When you switch back call me for a free support call. I feel like I owe you -- I'm sure I'll use your information as I explain to my customers some peachtree advantages over quickbooks.