Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Premium Accounting forum

Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 PM

Peachtree cannot detect your data path

I am getting this message when I try to open Peachtree after installing on a Windows 2003 server. (I was able to open a demo company right after the install, but when I ended out and tried to open Peachtree again I got the error). I have the program files installed on the D drive and data files on the M drive. I have checked PAA130.INI and the path specified there does point the the location of the Company Folder as described in a post I found on this user group, but I still get the error message. Any ideas why?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:26 PM

The path needs to point to the folder that holds the file called STATUS.DAT

Peachtree4bob@yahoo.com
Old 03-20-2006, 11:19 PM

It does

The path does point the the folder which has STATUS.DAT in it, but still I get the error.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:45 AM

I would restore the datapath to the default and see if you can can see the sample company files on your computer. The form of the path should be something like:
DATAPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PEACHT~1\Company\

Reboot the computer and see if that works. If it works then it means that you are not specifying the path correctly on the M drive. Also try browsing to the company file on the M drive to see if you can get access to it that way. If that works then use the info under the [Open History] section at the bottom of the ini file to help you specify the path correctly. It may just be a matter of an incorrectly specified path especially when converting from long file names to short windows file names required in the ini file.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:28 AM

This is a user Rights problem on the network

Peachtree4bob@yahoo.com
Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM

Answer to problem

With the help of Peachtree tech support I was able to determine that there are two ppa130.ini files. There is one in the C:\Windows directory and another in the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Windows directory. For some reason, when you go to start-run and run the ppa130.ini, it only opens the file in the C:\Windows directory. When I changed the path setting in the other ppa130.ini file, my Peachtree program was able to start. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Ron
Old 03-22-2006, 05:49 AM

I'm not sure where the windows directory in Documents and Settings came from but it is not a normal folder. Perhaps someone copied the contents of the c:\windows folder to D&S as a backup. So in the future, if you need to edit an ini file, the correct folder location is c:\windows.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM

Hi, I am running Peachtree Complete Accounting 2006. I stored the data file in a network drive and have client on each computer (single user a time). The datapath in PCW130.ini matches the actual data where STATUS.DAT and peachtree data files reside. Only lately, I always have an error message when I am trying to backup the peachtree data file. The error message is "STATUS.DAT file cannot be opened for reading". When I run the backup again, the backup is completing OK. I am wondering if this is a sign of corrupt file?. Please help.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Your description suggests that the network SHARE and or SECURITY Setting on the Peachtree network drive is not set to allow FULL or all Privileges.
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 01-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Peachtree cannot detect your data path

This is to confirm ronw's comment dated 03-21-2006, 01:06 PM.
We ran into the same issue after changing the mapping of server's data path. The re-installation of Peachtree did not help. I found this thread and searched the pcw100.ini (for Peachtree 2003) and found one hidden under C:\User\Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows (Win7 Professional). This file has an old data path from the first time installation and it has never been changed to new data path after the re-installation. I changed the data path in this file and it works fine now.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.