PT 2000 key code? Call 1-800-999-9209.   Advertise here

Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Classic and DOS forum

Old 03-11-2002, 06:18 PM

Angry Computer Crashed! Bank account Manager help needed......

I am running Peachtree Classic Version 12. We moved from a windows 98 environment to Windows XP. My computer recently CRASHED!! So far I have restored by my system and reinstalled Peachtree.

Peachtree is running extremely slow and I am having a great deal of problem with the Bank Account Manager (BAM).

The backup and restore in Classic 12 is a major problem. The only way I have been able to backup is to drag and drop through explorer. Classic 12 will not recognize my other drives on the system in order for me to do a backup.

I have not been able to print anything from bank account manager even though my printer works fine with the other modules. I have a canon s300 bubble jet USB port. There is not USB option in BAM printer setup. Does anyone know a way around this or how I can fix it. Could I somehow get PRN to recognize the USB port?

Could someone be kind enough to help me out of this mess. I have had 6 days of down time and paid way to much to a techy, and I'm not totally out of the woods yet.

Any help I could get from the Peachtree users would certainly be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited by Sally; 03-13-2002 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:42 PM

I'm a little confused here. As far as I know the Bank Account Manager still runs under DOS (v11). Is that right?

If that is correct, you should run it like if you are running PCA DOS v11 under XP: 80x25 Full Screen. Any other setup might result in problems. Check the Peachtree Knowledge Base for help with that or e-mail me in order to forward you the instructions.

Also, Turn off (or uninstall, if possible) all disk utilities programs and anti virus software.

In order to use a USB port to print share the printer and give you exclusive access. Then use the NET USE to map the shared printer on to machine's LPT port.

NET USE LPT1 mypcmyprinter /persistent:yes

This works under Win NT and 2000, and should work under XP too, but not with Win 9x/Me.

Finally, I have not used Peachtree Backup utility for years. I believe that backing up the data directories from Windows directly works a lot better and gives less trouble (you can perform automatic backups to wherever you want).

Please let me know if I can help you further.

HIH,

Microsoft MVP - Small Business Server
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Old 03-16-2002, 12:20 PM

Smile

Yes, Bank Account Manager runs under Dos (v11). I am not sure where to go to make it run like you are saying. Could you please send me instructions.

I will have to wait until Monday when I can get back in the office to try the NET USE trick.

Where would I find the backup utility in Windows XP? What I have done so far is drag and drop in explorer.

Thanks for answering. Hopefully I am on the road to computer recovery.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:46 PM

Sally,

First, I want to tell you that I'm not sure if this works for you. I got this idea from the fact that BAM runs like Peachtree DOS v11. Since you got to do some tweaking on to XP in order to run PCA-DOS correctly, BAM might need those tweaks too.

Click Here for a link to the Peachtree Support Site. Since I cannot give you a direct link to the article, you got to register with peachtree in order to get access to the knowledge center (the Peachtree's problems/solutions database). When you login, put 547 on the Search Text box, select Answer ID from the Search By drop down menu and click search. The article must appear at bottom.

This article is written specifically for Peachtree DOS. But I have used to run other programs and it works. The only thing that's different is the program name: PCA.BAT. Just change the name to the BAM program's name. If it does not end with .BAT you may not find the same tabs, but you can click on the left-upper corner of the program window and select properties.

About the Windows Backup utility: Start->All Programs->Accesories->System Tools->Backup

If it does not shows up. Go to the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and the select Add/Remove Windows components, select Backup and install it.

The only thing you got to do now is to schedule backups from the Scheduled Task (same location as the Backup program) and program it to backup all your data folders: ej. C:\PCA\XXYYDATA, where XX is the company's two letter abreviation and YY is the module. Or maybe you only want to do those backups manually.

I will test the Net Use command on one of my XP computers to check if it works also (I have used it on 2000 and NT), and let you know.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Old 03-20-2002, 07:16 PM

Question No luck so far

So far, I still have not had any luck printing from BAM. I am going to try your new suggestion at the office tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks.......
Old 03-21-2002, 03:20 AM

Let us know how it goes.

Maybe, I have some other tricks under my sleeve.

Thanks,

Old 03-27-2002, 05:59 PM

Red face

So Far....No Luck! I think BAM just doesn't like printers with USB ports. I am almost read to give up on it. Was unable to get to peachtree page in knowledge base you referred to earlier. I am still very much puzzled over the entire BAM printer saga......

Right now I have more important things to worry about with month-end, quarter-end, cash flow analysis, etc. BAM will have to go on the Back Burner for now. Thanks for all your input.