PT 2000 key code? Call 1-800-999-9209.   Advertise here

Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Unhappy File system error 3

For the past month I have been getting file system error 3 in file c:\peach2005\company\options.dat. (It is when I open company but doesn't happen all the time) Using Peachtree Complete 2005. Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Click on the Windows START button and then RUN. Type CONFIG.NT and OK. If prompted choose, NOTEPAD to open this file. Scoll to the bottom and typically the last line reads FILES=40, change this value to read FILES=199. Save and Exit the file. This should correct this problem.

You may also want to DEFRAG your C: drive, it is probably highly fragmented. Click START - ALL Programs - Accessories - System Tools and File Defragmenter.
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 04-27-2007, 08:20 AM

Smile

Thanks I think that did it.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:19 AM

still probs

Okay it worked for awhile and started doing it again so I did what you suggested and the files=199 had changed back to 40
Old 06-10-2007, 11:53 AM

My error isn't coming back....Try the steps again, but save the file FIRST (select File>save), then exit (File>Exit). It may work that way, else you'll have to do the defrag.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM

The Windows file labeled CONFIG.NT is designed for DOS and DOS based programs to allow for the addition of line statements similar to those used in the DOS (Windows 95/98) CONFIG.SYS files. Peachtree Version 11.0 through Peachtree Classic Version 12.0 & 13.0 require that the Windows 2000 and Windows XP file labeled CONFIG.NT have a FILES= statement value not less than 150. To leave this value at the Windows Default of FILES=40 typically results in Peachtree error messages such as Module is open for update by another, Files in Use by another, and other similar error messages.
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 AM

still happening

Okay I fixed the files=199 and save it and defraged computer but I still get error message from time to time. I have ran the integrity checks as well any advice?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Check your Peachtree INI file, defined DATAPATH against that of the actual data files. The file OPTIONS.DAT is a Peachtree program file and is typically located in the noted path and is normally a hidden file. As such this file may have been deleted or corrupted. If necessary, re-install the Peachtree program and all related updates to replace this file.
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 07-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Normally this error indicates an abnormal termination of the program, so it is odd that you are getting it when you open the company. If after following Rick's suggestions, you are still getting the error I would recommend that you also look for options.lck and/or options.ptl, with Peachtree closed. If they are present then delete the options.lck and/or options.ptl.

If you are still getting the error, then make a backup using the Peachtree backup feature, the save in location should be your desktop. Make sure that you have a backup for each set of company data, in the event you have multiple companies, before doing the following:

Uninstall Peachtree through add/remove programs.
Reboot computer.
Select to install Peachtree.
Select the advanced installation
Make the installation path C:\PCW2005
Once the program is installed, restore your backups and make sure that you select new company, instead of existing company and that you select to restore Company data and custom forms.

Another possibility is that something is causing the database to lose or not make a connection to the options.dat file. If you have active scan of an AV running, then you should exclude the Peachtree directory.