PT 2000 key code? Call 1-800-999-9209.   Advertise here

Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 08-12-2007, 04:16 PM

Managed Exceptions

I have a Toshiba Satellite M105-S3041 Laptop. I bought Peachtree 2007 because it said on the box that it had a set up for a salon. I first had peachtree on a desk top computer and had the same problems. If Peachtree does not lock up on me then I get a message like "A managed exception was caught in Show Customer List View0". The error is 'exception has been thrown by target of an invocation."

I am so frustrated with this program. I am a new business of only 5 months and the set up was enough to turn me off. Every one I talk to says PT is a hard program.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:43 PM

What operating system are you running? How much RAM?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 AM

Microsoft Windows XP Home Version 2002, Intel Centrino, Solo Processor T1350 @1.86GHz, 504MB RAM, DDR2, SDRAM.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:54 PM

A quick google of your error messages implied that this is a .NET problem. I would make sure that you have installed all of the windows updates. I know they updated the .NET programs a few weeks ago.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:05 PM

I have automatic d/l on and I just checked and .net framework service pack one was there. This problem only happens when I am in the PT program, leave like for instance the receipt screen up and when I am ready to cash some one out that message appears. Then when I try to esc out it locks up and I have to reboot. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks LauraG.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM

I also keep having the same problem. I've written in twice about it. Here's what I wrote and what I was told.

PROBLEM:I wrote in several months ago about this problem. It was suggested that I run a repair. I did, then I wasn't able to run PT. I finally fixed all the problems, but I still continue to receive the managed exception error.

Almost everytime I run PT 2007 I have this problem. I am a single user.

When I'm in A/P, Sales Invoices, P/R and click on the "List" this is what happens.

A managed exception was caught in ShowCustomerListView(). The error is 'exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation'. [OK]

Then I try again, it says 'your data is loading' then nothing happens. The computer hangs up in which every list I was trying.

I can't just close PT. I have to then restart the computer everytime. You can imagine my frustration when I have different windows open and everything has to be turned off. Then it causes my computer to not boot properly and I've had to reboot as many as 4 times before I'm up and running.

Why does this happen all the time? There has to be a reason. I'm so afraid to click on "List" in any of the PR, AR or sales invoiceing because of this happening.

ANSWER:This error message is related to Security Levels as set in Windows Administrative Tools for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - double left click on this icon. Next in the left panel, click on "Runtime Security Policy". Next under the main pane labeled TASK click on "Adust Zone Security". On the next screen the default selection should read "Make Changes to this Computer", as such do not make any changes here, just click NEXT. On the next screen click on "Local Intranet" Icon and change the security level from mid point to FULL TRUST. Click on NEXT to accept this screen and then click FINISH on the summary screen. The above changes will correct the problems that you are experiencing.

It did help for a few time, but I'm right back to the same thing. I can alway be sure that it will happen everytime I run PT2007.

I run a pentium 4 3.00 GHZ with 512 mb of ram and 134GB of free space.

So again, any solutions for this never ending problem?
Thanks,
Cindy
Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 PM

Do you use multiple profiles on those computer? Have you tried uninstalling Peachtree completely, uninstall the .Net framework, and then reinstall?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM

I run only 1 profile. I am the only person using my single user computer. When I ran the repair, it messed up and I couldn't get back into PT. I then completely uninstalled PT and reinstalled it. It seemed that it worked for several uses, but then right back to it's old tricks. I don't know that I uninstall the .Net framework. How do you do that? Can you do it without uninstalling PT? I'm so tried of these problems. I can't imagine upgrading to 2008 until these problems get fixed. Everyday this happens. HELPPPPP!!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM

Uninstall Peachtree, then go to start, control panel, add/remove programs and you should see the Microsoft .Net Framework to uninstall. Then restart, and select to install Peachtree, it will detect you do not have then .Net framework and install it again for you.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 AM

Thank you all for your input on my problem of managed exceptions. I have solved my problem. I have put PT aside and went to another accounting program.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 AM

That is one way to solve it. Not many other people are having the problem you are having, so it is something related to just those few instances.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:22 PM

I'm having a similar problem when I click on some vendors to bring up the Maintain Vendors window. Instead of that window, I get an error about a managed exception, with the same information about the exception ("exception has been thrown by target of an invocation"). I have uninstalled and re-installed .NET, and Peachtree (I am using Pro 2008). This happens only on specific vendors, and for those vendors if I customize the Vendor List window to add the "Last Invoiced Amt" column, it shows a number in around $50 trillion."

This database was upgraded to 2008 from 2007. I believe something went wrong in the conversion, or else 2008 just doesn't handle some data as 2007 left it. I'm working with Sage support to see if they have a solution or workaround. The error message comes from PT's use of .NET 2.0 in the 2008 version, and such errors typically indicate poor error checking in the application.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:19 PM

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? Try disabling Internet Explorer plug ins and see if that corrects the problem.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Smile PT 2008 Managed Exceptions solved

I solved my own managed exception problem with a rebuild. I had the problem only when bringing up Maintain Vendors on certain vendors (and some related problems like being unable to filter reports by vendor ID). I decided to turn on all columns of vendor info in the Vendors List window to see if anything looked odd about these vendors, and I found that the "last invoice amt" for these vendors was garbage (amounts in the trillions of $$), and if I enabled "last invoice date" the Vendor List was entirely blank. I removed PT 2008 (where the managed exception problem surfaced) and went back to 2007 and loaded my earliest backup. Sure enough, the vendor records (and some clients as well) were bad there too, though no errors or exceptions occurred so I hadn't known about it.

This company was originally created in PT 2007 by importing 3 FYs from Quicken Home & Business, and the bad data seems to have originated with that import. Disappointing that PT's Quicken import would do that, and that data verification wouldn't detect it in either PT 2007 or PT 2008.

I rebuilt my major FY backups (made before close) in PT 2007 so I would have clean backups, and rebuilt my current company in PT 2008. The rebuild instructions neglect mentioning to export/import Budget, and with that addition, the rebuild was pretty smooth, though you lose memorized transactions, and linkages between recurring transactions.

This managed exception issue (exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation) is a general sort of problem when calling some .NET component that doesn't like the data it was given for some reason. Sage could be displaying a more detailed error with better programming, since there is an "inner" exception that is the root of the "managed" exception. That might help differentiate all these issues that otherwise look more or less the same.

Last edited by joshlitt; 12-31-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 AM

It is likely you could have corrected those last invoice issues, with a vendor/journal sync test.