PT 2000 key code? Call 1-800-999-9209.   Advertise here

Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 07-10-2003, 10:27 AM

Angry Please HELP!!!!!!! Can't open PTB file

First off I hate Peachtree software. My boss fired his accountant for being a moron. My current girlfriend came in to help and is stuck working with Peachtree. Myself being a electrical engineer, has an enormous amount of experience dealing with computers.
This dumb software has caused more problems, and instigated more fights than anything in my life right now. So for the love of everything sacred.

WHY?

Why can't I restore a stand .PTB file ? WHY?

I created it with peachtree software, AND now I need to restore it. I just get the error. Unable to load file.

HELP
PLEASE SHOW COMPASSION AND HELP
Old 07-10-2003, 10:56 AM
underwearwholesale.com

the brutal truth...

this goes to show that you gotta seperate business and pleasure.

what version are you using??
what kinds of error messages are you getting?

Last edited by fartar; 07-10-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fartar
the brutal truth...

this goes to show that you gotta seperate business and pleasure.

what version are you using??
what kinds of error messages are you getting?
I had no choice in the matter. A job is a job. She is in college and needed PT job. What I am going to do ? Plus everything is Great except PeachTree NEVER works.

I am trying to open a PTB file. That is a backup file. On PeachTree Accounting Ver 7.Somthing.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:57 AM

Talking

AND fI know you can open and decompress the file with WinZip. But then you can't view the files.

Stupid PeachTree!

I will vow to somehow put them out of business!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 PM

Do you only have one .PTB file? If so, it's not Peachtree's fault that you don't have multiple backups. I can appreciate your frustration, but railing against the software company isn't going to resolve anything. If you don't create regular, and multiple, backup versions, then your ire should be directed inward at your own organization.

One avenue you might try is to click the Data Damaged banner at the top left of this screen. You may be able to have the .PTB file repaired.

One other thing...you do realize that you can only restore into an existing Peachtree company. If you installed the software on a new machine, make sure to create a new company (choose File, New, then walk through the prompts). Once you complete the New Company Wizard, you can then try restoring your file. This quirk about Peachtree sometimes trips folks up.

Good luck with your situation.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:37 PM

Are you trying to "Open" it like a company or use the "Restore" option in the "File" menu. The correct way would be to "Restore" it but you may lose data if you made changes after you saved the *.ptb file.

It sounds like your difficulty is because you are unfamiliar with the program. You should spend some time with the manual and the sample companies. It's not that difficult to use....
Old 07-10-2003, 02:11 PM
underwearwholesale.com

are you getting any sort of error message?

if you are trying to restore into a existing company make sure that you have the right password or else that restore function will be blocked out.

if you are recovering from something more drastic you will be creating a new company in that case you will need to make a empty "dummy" company only to restore over it

Inhale........

Exhale....

I have felt the sameway about peachtree at times before..

I also think PT7 is pretty plagued with bugs... I found that ver 8 is best for me... 9 wasnt that great either... I shudder at the thought of what 10 is like...

Last edited by fartar; 07-10-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: Please HELP!!!!!!! Can't open PTB file

Originally posted by RugbyMuffin
First off I hate Peachtree software. My boss fired his accountant for being a moron. My current girlfriend came in to help and is stuck working with Peachtree. Myself being a electrical engineer, has an enormous amount of experience dealing with computers.

This dumb software has caused more problems, and instigated more fights than anything in my life right now. So for the love of everything sacred. WHY? Why can't I restore a standard .PTB file ?

I created it with peachtree software, AND now I need to restore it. I just get the error. Unable to load file.

Sounds to me like the accountant wasn't such a moron after all since that person was apparently able to use Peachtree without a problem. Surely, if you have enormous experience with computers then you know that files can get corrupted through no fault of the application. Peachtree is used by a large number of companies without problem, but occasionally the accounting database files will get corrupted by network dropouts, server problems and similar computer glitches. The only protection against this is to insure that you have good backups.

The PTB files that Peachtree creates are indeed ZIP files, so you can use a tool like WinZip to extract the contents, but you must be sure you extract everything because the data in the files needs to be consistent. If you have extracted the data files into a new folder and, when you browse to that folder in Peachtree and try to open the data you get errors, then there is corruption within some of the DAT files.

If you want some help here, then you have to give us more precise information: we need to know WHAT version of Peachtree are you running and EXACTLY what the error messages are that you are getting.

As has already been suggested, you may want to have your data scanned for damage, which you can have done for free by clicking on the link above.