PT 2000 key code? Call 1-800-999-9209.   Advertise here

Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Classic and DOS forum

Old 08-17-2005, 01:17 PM

peachtree verios 12.05 on windows xp

I've installed version 12.05 on two new machines that have windows xp on them.

Mapped the network drive to see the server.

Checked the properties of the Icon on the screen and they appear correct.

When I load the program it is trying to acesss the data files on the machine I loaded it on. How do I correct this problem. When peachtree loads, it has C:\pca in the lower program directory on the screen. But this is the same thing the other 98 machines I have PCIII running on say when they load. It's like the program is not seeing the data files on F:

Is there any changes that need to be made to the config sys or the autoexec files. I remember making changes to get this version to run correctly on a 98 machine.

W

Last edited by willcox; 08-17-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:41 PM

The proper installation of Peachtree Classic 12.05 requires small adjustments to the Windows XP environment and further to the datapath needs to be common to all workstations. Based on your description the program is loaded on the local workstation's C: drive (which is correct) and the datapath is possibly set to C:\PCA\XXXXdata on the host computer. So in short when you open your company, it is looking for the data on the local C: drive which is not the case, except for the host computer which does in fact find the data just fine.

You need to define a network or shared datapath that is consistent for all computers. I.E. F:\PCA\XXXXDATA. The XX's represent the company ID and the second two XX's represent the module ID. WD Peachtree would read WDGLDATA, WDAPDATA for General Ledger & Accounts Payable respectively. So both of the two computers would recognized F: drive. In the case of the host computer, you can map the drive letter F: to the local C: drive or use the Windows SUBST command to do this for you.

Next you need to change the current default DATAPATH from C:\PCA\XXXXDATA to read the newly mapped drive i.e F:\PCA\XXXXDATA. To do this go to the Windows START button and then RUN. Type the following command on the host computer. C:\PCA\UTILBA and click OK. This will open a special program where you will enter the company ID and then select from the menu "L - Change Datapath Location. Then c.lick on each of the respective modules and key in the new shared drive letter without changing any other part of the datapath.

Within Windows / Properties /Advance / Enviromental Variables / System Variables, you need to add to System Variables. The first is going to be done on both computers.

Variable Name OVERLAY_HEAP
Variable Value 1

The second variable will be done on both computers

Variable Name PC3ID
Variable Value CO

The third variable will be done on the Workstation ONLY

Variable Name PCADATA
Variable Value F:\PCA

Additonally, you need to open and adjust the C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt file and adjust the last line to read FILES = 199. The default answer is FILES = 40. Otherwise, you run the risk of receiving error messages I.E. Files are open for updata by another, file / module is in use by another etc.

We support Peachtree DOS and Classic as does the host of this website.
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 08-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Rick,

First let me thank you for the informative reply. I also volunteer time to threads related to my field of expertise. It is always nice when other people help those with lesser knowledge.

I was frustrated earlier today and did my post very hastily. I'll try to explain in more detail what I've set up as well as a few questions from your reply. I will have to wait until tomorrow around noon before I can make any changes.

Peachtree is set up on all our workstations in the same manner and all machines function fine that are 98 windows. All the machines in the workgroup are windows 98 machines except for three. One is a laptop, which we don't care about running Peachtree on. The other two are new machines which as I indicated earlier, are new windows xp machines.

I have been on Peachtree a long time and my original directory was set up as PCIII instead of the new current PCA. My server directories are all set up as C:\pciii\ardata for example.

The server is a stand alone machine which is not used for anything except a server.

The properties on the icon are as follows.

Target C:\PCA\pcamenu.exe
Start in F:\pciii

(this is the same on all the 98 machines too)

The network drive has been mapped to recognize the main server as F:\server

" you can map the drive letter F: to the local C: drive "

I think I have this correct.

The 98 machines are all set up this way and run. Mind you I've made changes to the autoexec file and the config sys file per the instructions that came with version 11.0. These changes were outlined in a paper book that Peachtree sent to me when I upgraded to version 11.0. and had a problem! (Damn shame they did not send this info when version 12.05 came out)

The ultilba command is what scares me. . . I had a problem with Peachtree a year ago and typed this in on one of the network stations. When I changed the data files, it wipe my files off the server and I had nothing (thank goodness I had a up to date backup). So, when you say the Host computer, I assume you mean the Server. Again, I'm not very smart with Peachtree, and I'm worried about the same problem as the last time.

" Within Windows /Properties /Advance /eviromental Variables / System Variables, you need to add to System Variables. The first is going to be done on both computers. "

I think I'm on the right track with this but I'm not sure. Do you mean run "sysedit"and add these lines to the different systems files as in the old 98 windows? If so, then which I think I can handle this but I'm not sure which line to add to which system file. I'll check the old paper sheets they sent me to know which command gets inserted in which file. They do seem the same as the old commands and I'm sure they probably go in the same files.

W
Old 08-18-2005, 07:20 AM

I'm working now!

Per Ricks instructions:

I went to the system variables file and added

Overlay_heap

pc31d
co

pcadata
f:\pciii <=== my peachtree file location (newer versions will be F:\pca

I then edited my config.nt file to read

Files=199

I did not have to change the datapath location to make the program work. I stated earlier that I had a bad experience with the utilba file. (it overwrote my data files on F

After I made the above changes, the program appears to be working fine without the other changes. All our data files are there and we have it in use. I"m sure after a day of use here, we will know for sure if there are any issues.

Regards,

w
Old 10-05-2005, 07:35 AM

PCA Version 10 on Windows XP

We currently have two Windows 98 computers running PCA V. 10. which now need to be replaced. I must install PCA V. 10 on two new computers running Windows XP Pro - and possibly a third computer.

Do the same instructions apply for V. 10 as advised in this post for V. 12.05?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 PM

The basics as listed in the previous posts stand for Peachtree Complete Accounting DOS / Classic Versions 10 -13, inclusive and without exception.

Running Peachtree DOS Version 10 & 11 under Windows XP is less than desireable. PCA V10 & 11 are true DOS (16 bit)applications and there are video incompatiblities with Win XP. You are unable to print to screen with these two versions. When you open Peachtree it will open in a window following which you can press ATL - ENTER together after proceding to the second screen where you input your company id.
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 AM

Rick, thank you for your reply. I am sure we will have additional questions when we do the DOS Version 10 software installation on the new XP systems. I know we must consider upgrading our software in the near future...
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 AM

Pursuant to my October 5 post, I have some additional questions concerning our upgrade path from PCA V10 on two old Windows 98 machines to eventually using a current windows version of PCA on Windows XP machines.

1. From a software hardware operating system compatibility perspective, are there any advantages/disadvantages in this scenario?
a. Upgrade our PCA V10 to PCA V12.05 on the Windows 98 machines. (We do own PCA V12.05, but have never installed it.)
b. Install PCA V12.05 on the XP machines, and then bring over the data from the 98 machines.
c. Eventually upgrade from PCA V12.05 to PCA 2006.
2. Is there any method or path to convert and preserve all the detailed data that we currently have on V10 over to V12.05, and eventually over to a current windows version of PCA?

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 PM

Peachtree Version 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0 all used the same database without requiring any data conversion. This means that you could load Peachtree Version 12.05 and read / update your database and still be able to read and update the same database later using Peachtree Version 10.0. The only key differences would be the new features added in Peachtree 11.0 / 12.05.

Using Peachtree 12.05 under Windows 98SE and / or Windows XP will function just fine. Just remember that the Windows environmental setting as previously described in prior posts.

If and when you CONVERT your Peachtree DOS / Classic database using a special Peachtree conversion program, you will bring over to the new program, chart of accounts, vendor, customer, inventory, employees lists along with period to date / year to date account balances only. The conversion does NOT bring over any transactions or historical information.
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 10-20-2005, 05:44 AM

Thank you for your reply and further help.

I have a question concerning the system variable information before I proceed with installing PCA V10 on the XP systems.

1. Variable Name PC3ID, Variable Value CO - What does "CO" signify? Should we replace "CO" with our company ID?

2. Variable Name PCADATA, Variable Value F:\PCA - Our data resides in the PC3 folder. Should we use: Variable Name PC3DATA, Variable Value F:\PC3?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:16 PM

The enviromental variable PC3ID=CO represents your standard Peachtree Configuration ID. The default for PCA 10 -13 is CO. Originally, there were two default confguration ID's, the first being CO for Color and the second being MO for Monochrome. This setup dates back to the late 1980's and continued through Peachtree Classic 13.0 in the 2000's. You could setup mulitple configurations representing combinations of Printer Definitions and related settings for various workstations using Peachtree. Each workstation could have its own PC3ID=??. This way when the user opened Peachtree, the program would then use the associated configuration file as defined in the Windows environmental statement.

The enviromental statement PCADATA=?????, tells Peachtree on each workstation where to look for the common or shared Peachtree files in the case of a network. Some of the shared files included the Company Listing, the Printer Configuration files, Peachtree registration (serial numbers - owner's name) files. This way any new companies that you setup are immediately seen by all workstations regardless of which station the work was done on. So, you can change the shared file location reference in the enviromental statement but not the prefix PCADATA or the earlier PC3ID as these are program defined statements. The suffix is user defined and can be changed to match your configuration ID and or data file location.
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 AM

Thank you again for your reply. I have made the corrections based upon your advice and PCA V10 is working on the Windows XP machine. This was just the workstation. My next installation will be the "Server."
Old 11-28-2005, 08:30 AM

I am now ready to install PCA V10 on the "Server" running Windows XP. I will be backing up all the data modules from the Windows 98 server and will then restore them to the Windows XP server. Should I also back up the System files on the Windows 98 server and then restore them on the Windows XP server?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:23 PM

Will the current workstation be connected to the new Server? If so use Windows Explorer and copy the PCA folder on the Workstation and paste it in the Server's shared folder. This will copy the program, all system files, company data files completely.

Now you will need only to setup a shared network drive i.e. F: = \\Server\Shared Folder. Peachtree's system files will still be looking to the local C:\ drive for its data, so this element needs to be adjusted to look to F:\PCA vs. the old C:\PCA. On the workstation, go to a Command Prompt and then change to the Peachtree program folder i.e. C:\PCA and type the command UTILBA. Follow the prompts to the main menu and then select the line "Change Datapath". Select each module and change the datapath drive reference from C:\ to the new F:\ along with the balance of the datapath.

If the Server is going to be used as a workstation as well, then you can repeat the UTILBA process on the Server so that it reads the new datapath. Remember to adjust the Server file labeled CONFIG.NT to read FILES=199.

There are other configurations that could be used for Peachtree in a client / server relationship. However, not knowing how many workstations, and or how many companies etc. The above is the easiest to explain and to implement via this median.
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 11-28-2005, 01:37 PM

I have another question regarding the restoration of data. Do I restore the data through Peachtree - or do I restore through DOS? If so, do you have any recommended procedures? Thanks.