PT 2000 key code? Call 1-800-999-9209.   Advertise here

Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums      

Go Back   Peachtree and Sage 50 Forums > Peachtree and Sage 50 software > Peachtree / Sage 50 Accounting forum

Old 11-04-2005, 11:25 AM

Question Setting up Aflac as a pretax deduction

I guess today is my day to look for imformation.
I am trying to set up the Aflac to come out of my Gross wages pretaxed. I have tried several avenues and my accountant is on vacation today.

I have gone to the Maintain - Default information- Employee EE fields. From here I have added the Aflac (along with the GL account) to the bottom of the list and then went to each tax and checked it in the use column. When I go in and do a check to see if it has calculated the taxes with out the Aflac in there, it is still in the Gross.
In my employee default I have the amount (-) that is to be deducted and I still get the same thing.

I know it has to be something simple that I am not doing.
If anyone could help walk me through this I would appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote "When I go in and do a check to see if it has calculated the taxes with out the Aflac in there, it is still in the Gross."

If the Aflac amount is showing in the Employee Gross amount, then you must have defined Aflac as a source of INCOME on the PayLevel Screen. When placing Aflac ONLY on the EmployEE screen is Can NOT show up in GROSS Pay.
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Sage Certified Trainer
Old 11-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Rick,
Thank you for the information. I have checked everything and I do not have the amount listed as income. On the payroll check screen, in the journal, the Gross is listed first. That is the total from the hours X rate. The amount for the Aflac is listed under that as a deduction but if I check the SS & Medi taxes that are listed, it calculated on the total Gross - not on the Gross minus the Aflac. Is there somewhere else that you would to set up something pretaxed? Maybe I have missed a step...
Old 11-05-2005, 02:04 PM

The program may be working exactly as it is supposed to. Most "pretax" plans exclude income tax, both federal and state, but not FICA tax.

Web site: www.lorinbrowning.com
E-mail to: lorin@lorinbrowning.com
Old 11-05-2005, 08:24 PM

Go to Maintain Defaults, Employee, EmployEE Tab. Click on the ADJUST button on the extreme right side of the line labled FED_INCOME. The top line of the next screen should read "Define Adjusted Gross for the FED_INCOME payroll field. Now on the left side, under the section labeled "EmployEE Field Names", place a chech mark adjacent to each listing that should be included for Federal Income or FWT calculation. In you example the choices would be GROSS & AFLAC. This assume that the AFLAC plan is exempt from Federal Income Tax. You would repeat this process for any other applicable tax from with the AFLAC expense can be deducted before calculating taxes. If Social Security and Medicare should be exempted, then you would need to adjust the EmployER side as well.

Verify what taxes are exempted when AFLAC insurance coverage is purchased by the employee.
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Sage Certified Trainer